Web Developer - Early Career Intern Program Summer 2020 at MassMutual
Why should I consider MassMutual?
At MassMutual, we are looking for and investing in students who will become tomorrow’s future business leaders. The MassMutual Early Career Internship Program is an 11-week summer internship in a diverse and established Fortune 100 Company, in which you will help solve business problems, develop both the professional and leadership skills needed to build a successful career, while having fun and building relationships that will last a lifetime. With internships in areas of Technology, Insurance Operations, Investment Management, and Marketing, you can explore the career path that is right for YOU!
What great looks like in this program:
Our ideal candidate is someone who is a continuous learner that can adapt and thrive in complex, uncertain and changing situations.
You are able to demonstrate this by:
- Earning confidence and trust through ownership, commitment and follow-through in achieving results in school and/or work projects.
- Building a deeper understanding of how a business operates, specifically with a continuous improvement mindset.
- Managing priorities effectively and adapting quickly to achieve goals.
- Self-driven in the pursuit of opportunities to develop new skills and perspectives through constant learning
Intern Program Highlights:
- Meaningful Projects: Apply your knowledge and skills by participating in high profile projects in a respected and highly rated company. Take part in our collaborative work environment focusing on process improvements that help us better serve our customers, including both external and internal customers.
- Corporate Learning & Development Programs: Participate in internal programs that allow you to develop professional skills and competencies such as Empower (leadership course), Products 101, 12 Inclusive Behaviors, Microsoft Excel training, etc.
- Personalized Coaching: Receive career and leadership coaching specific to you and your development needs from our Early Career Program team.
- Mentors: Be paired with professionals at MassMutual to learn about the business throughout several departments while utilizing your mentors as a sounding board to share and shape your ideas.
- Networking Opportunities: Engage with the greater MassMutual community by being involved in networking activities and also our sessions set up as smaller group meetings with senior leaders in the company.
- Volunteer Opportunities: MassMutual invests more than $20 million annually in organizations across the country to support communities and broaden their economic opportunity. Join colleagues within MassMutual and make a positive impact in the community!
- Community: You will have the opportunity to work with talented interns across several departments in a highly-collaborative environment. Housing is also provided if needed, which adds to the community aspect of the program.
The Digital Experience team, part of MassMutual’s Customer Experience organization, is comprised of collaborative, cross-functional, product centric groups who like to have fun, challenge each other, and are energized to create innovative solutions that exceed the changing needs of our customers. We design, build, and support all of MassMutual’s customer-facing digital assets. To help us achieve our mission, we are hiring Web Developer Interns to join our team.
What great looks like in this role:
Objectives of this role:
- Drive toward the effective utilization of the latest technologies, partnering with business stakeholders across the team, as well as experts in other areas including data science to achieve goals
- Learn and master new and emerging technologies and take initiative to offer technical direction and creative solutions
- Build responsive web applications that provide best-in-class support for multiple browsers and mobile devices
- Deliver and demo a finished project Daily and monthly responsibilities
- Engage in collaborative environment with agile squads across the organization to develop highly interactive digital experiences on exciting technology directives
- Develop complex software programming applications
- Responsible for components of an application or sub-systems, such as sophisticated file management routines, large telecommunications networks, administrative and statistical software packages, performance evaluation and enhancements
- Perform related duties as assigned or requested
- Receives general supervision and is competent to work at a high level of all technical phases of software programming while working on own most of the time
Desired skills for this role:
- HTML5: expertise in cross-browser design and implementations; expertise crafting pages with semantic markup; expertise in DOM manipulation; familiarity with W3C standards
- Progressive Web App/Graceful Degradation: experience in implementations across devices, including: desktop, tablet, and mobile browsers
- Git: expertise with workflow steps, including: branching, merging, rebasing, pull requests; working knowledge of reversion and alternative git flows
- Docker: experience building images, Dockerfile syntax, secrets, volumes, and port binding; working knowledge of docker-compose
- Virtualization: experience with virtual machines; one of: Vagrant, VirtualBox, Parallels, VMWare; experience mounting volumes and port binding
- Agile: experience working in an Agile development environment; experience with an online planning system, such as JIRA, Trello, Pivotal Tracker, etc.
Preferred qualifications for this role:
- Cloud Architecture: understanding of stateless/”12 factor” application principles
- APIs: experience with RESTful APIs; understanding of API specifications, such as Swagger docs
- Deployments: experience with “blue/green” (or “red/black”), rolling, or canary deployment strategies
- Advanced React: experience with higher order components, and composition of components
- Redux or Flux: experience with application data architecture
- Webpack: experience customizing webpack configurations for multi target builds
- Testing: experience writing unit, integration, integration and load tests; expertise with one of jest, mocha, chai, enzyme, and sinon; proficiency with cross-browser testing tools and/or platforms
- Code Quality: experience with eslint, csslint
- Continuous Integration: experience using pipelines to support continuous delivery; understanding of the value stream
- Documentation: proficiency with technical writing; proficiency with markdown syntax; proficiency writing wiki pages for technical documentation including troubleshooting, tutorials, and reference material