At Kensho, we hire talented people and give them the autonomy, support, and resources needed to build cutting-edge technology and products for our parent company, S&P Global. As a result, we produce technology that solves the challenges of one of the world’s largest, most successful financial institutions. As a software engineering intern on our Query Infrastructure team, you will work on a highly advanced cross-database querying platform capable of finding and providing data from a wide variety of sources, from SQL databases to S3 buckets. This platform underpins Kensho’s advanced machine learning and analytics applications, so you will apply cutting-edge compiler, database, and distributed systems ideas to empower your teammates and collaborate on solving difficult real-world data problems.
Are you looking to make impactful, scalable contributions that transform the way we think about data? If so, we would love to help you excel here at Kensho. We take pride in our tightly-knit, team-based community that provides our Kenshins with a collaborative, supportive environment to bring transparency to the biggest challenges in data.
What We're Working On
- Open-source, optimizing GraphQL-to-database-queries compiler (source code, blog post)
- An internal, web-based tool for interactive query design and data exploration
- Cross-database query cost estimation, query planning, and automatic query pagination
What You'll Do
- You will contribute to our GraphQL compiler and/or associated libraries
- You will design interfaces, APIs, and services that address immediate needs with an eye for future scaling and reuse
- You will write tests to ensure the functionality and reliability of the team's code
- You will participate in code reviews, both as a reviewer and a reviewee
- You will help build the data foundation for Kensho’s newest machine learning and analytics products
Technologies You’ll Use
What We Look For
- At least one core proficiency in a related area (e.g. distributed systems, algorithms, relational or graph databases, Python)
- Basic proficiency with Python and git
- Practical understanding of algorithms, data structures, and design patterns
- Effective coding, documentation, and collaboration habits
- Impeccable attention to detail
How to Really Get Our Attention
- You have open-source project contributions
- You have relevant research, publications, or coursework
Kensho uses machine learning, artificial intelligence, natural language processing and data visualization techniques to solve some of the hardest analytical problems and create breakthrough financial intelligence solutions for our parent company, S&P Global.
Kensho was founded in 2013 by Harvard & MIT alums and was acquired by S&P Global in 2018. Kensho continues to operate as a startup in order to maintain our distinct, independent brand and to promote our breakthrough, innovative culture. Our team of Kenshins enjoy a dynamic and collaborative work environment that runs autonomously from S&P, while leveraging the unparalleled breadth and depth of data and resources available as part of S&P Global.
As Kenshins, we pride ourselves on maintaining an innovative culture that depends on diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer that welcomes future Kenshins with all experiences and perspectives. Kensho is headquartered in Cambridge, MA, with offices in New York City, Washington D.C. and Los Angeles.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.