Observability Engineering Co-op at CarGurus
Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work’s made a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US, and we’re expanding globally. Ready to come along for the ride?
Teams / Project:
Without visibility, it’s hard for engineering teams to know whether or not their systems are failing. At CarGurus, the Observability Team makes sure we’re collecting enough data to programmatically determine when and how our systems fail.
Our solutions are used throughout engineering and include Prometheus, Grafana, code instrumentation libraries, connecting to and leveraging external services such as Honeycomb, Sentry, and New Relic. We are looking for a co-op to assist on projects to ensure these services are meeting the expectations of the business. This can involve working with a significant Java codebase, Chef, Ansible, and Terraform.
Who You Are:
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate program in Computer Science or equivelant
- Empathetic and loves helping others to be more successful
- Motivated by the idea of contributing to systems that help ensure the reliability of the most visited and most used automotive marketplace in the US
- Loves to automate everything
- Prefers to make decisions based on data
- Has a passion for log aggregation, exception aggregation, metric collection and distributed tracing and the reasons for implementing these solutions
- An understanding of distributed systems is a plus
- Exposure to Java and Git would be helpful
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, Germany, Spain, Italy, and the UK—with other markets on the horizon. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.