Machine Shop Intern at Formlabs
To reinvent an industry, you have to build the best team. Join Formlabs if you want to bring ground-breaking professional 3D printers to the desktop of every designer, engineer, researcher, and artist in the world.
Formlabs is building the future of desktop fabrication. Interns working in the Machine Shop are responsible for supporting the rapid prototyping initiatives core to our engineering programs. Machining practices, modeling concepts, manufacturing theory, and teamwork are critical to this role. Machine shop interns are expected to step in during every step of the fabrication process, and help keep our 2600 sq ft R&D machine shop running.
If you are passionate about building hardware through interdisciplinary hands-on work, we want you to join us on the Machine Shop Team.
- In-House Machining Assistance
- Complete manual machining operations on a lathe and bridgeport
- Run a waterjet, laser cutter, and CNC router
- Execute secondary operations, deburring, parts cleaning, and inventory
- Help build parts that support engineering efforts across all R&D departments at Formlabs.
- Machine Shop Maintenance
- Help maintain our 2600 sq ft R&D machine shop.
- Perform preventative maintenance duties to help keep machinery in good condition.
- Inspection and upkeep of wearable or consumable tooling
- Replace blades, inspect cutting tools, Inspect and replace drive belts, repair or replace damaged or worn tools, etc…
- Execute workplace improvement projects such as custom rack fabrication, storage solutions, web-connected inventory management, and more.
- Engineering and Design Assistance
- Assist shop personnel in the planning and design review stages of a project.
- Work on projects that accelerate the pace of R&D Machining efforts like fixtures, machining coolant delivery solutions, and other custom process improvements.
- Love making and fabricating designs
- An organized, autonomous, and focused independent operator
- Love working hands-on with mechanical and electrical hardware
- Clear communicator who can work in collaboration with many teams
- A born problem-solver who loves to work on puzzles
- Able to balance a wide variety of projects on tight deadlines
- Familiar machine tools and processes (laser cutter, CNC mill, power tools, woodworking tools)
- Can read and interpret engineering drawings, including GD&T
- Ready to build, test, or tweak whatever needs to be done
- Experience as machinist or fabricator
- Familiarity with manufacturing processes
- Experience solving technical problems with strong teamwork
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of 3D printing.