Investment Management (GIA) Intern- ECP
At MassMutual, we are looking for and investing in students who will become tomorrow’s future business leaders. The MassMutual Early Career Internship Program is an 11-week summer internship in a diverse and established Fortune 100 Company, in which you will help solve business problems, develop both the professional and leadership skills needed to build a successful career, while having fun and building relationships that will last a lifetime. With internships in areas of Technology, Insurance Operations, Investment Management, and Marketing, you can explore the career path that is right for YOU!
What great looks like in this program:
Our ideal candidate is someone who is a continuous learner that can adapt and thrive in complex, uncertain and changing situations.
You are able to demonstrate this by:
- Earning confidence and trust through ownership, commitment and follow-through in achieving results in school and/or work projects.
- Building a deeper understanding of how a business operates, specifically with a continuous improvement mindset.
- Managing priorities effectively and adapting quickly to achieve goals.
- Self-driven in the pursuit of opportunities to develop new skills and perspectives through constant learning
Desired skills for roles within the Investment Management Organization (GIA):
- Strong quantitative and applied mathematic skill set
- Ability to code in various languages: R, Python, SQL, C++
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Strong presentation skills
- Prefer students with applied mathematics, computer science and statistics backgrounds
- Understanding of the markets with a desire to work on the buy side of investments
Investment Management – Manages the General Investment Account for MassMutual by providing the framework for the GIA portfolio construction and investment decision-making.
- Works to identify global economic and market factors that will drive returns across asset classes and seek to optimize the portfolio allocation
- Identify investments that offer the appropriate level of risk/reward relative to alternatives
Potential areas of work: Quantitative Research and Development – Credit and Market Risk, Due Diligence, Portfolio Management and Asset Allocation
Intern Program Highlights:
- Meaningful Projects: Apply your knowledge and skills by participating in high profile projects in a respected and highly rated company. Take part in our collaborative work environment focusing on process improvements that help us better serve our customers, including both external and internal customers.
- Corporate Learning & Development Programs: Participate in internal programs that allow you to develop professional skills and competencies such as Empower (leadership course), Products 101, 12 Inclusive Behaviors, Microsoft Excel training, etc.
- Personalized Coaching: Receive career and leadership coaching specific to you and your development needs from our Early Career Program team.
- Mentors: Be paired with professionals at MassMutual to learn about the business throughout several departments while utilizing your mentors as a sounding board to share and shape your ideas.
- Networking Opportunities: Engage with the greater MassMutual community by being involved in networking activities and also our sessions set up as smaller group meetings with senior leaders in the company.
- Volunteer Opportunities: MassMutual invests more than $20 million annually in organizations across the country to support communities and broaden their economic opportunity. Join colleagues within MassMutual and make a positive impact in the community!
- Community: You will have the opportunity to work with talented interns across several departments in a highly-collaborative environment. Housing is also provided if needed, which adds to the community aspect of the program.
What our Past Interns Have to Say:
Jack, Investments - "One thing that surprised me was how my work was often an immediate value add. It was encouraging and rewarding to see my managers make use of my contributions for further analysis, presentations, and decision-making. My colleagues considered all my thoughts, making for a collaborative environment."
Stephen, Operations - "Having the opportunity to partake in MassMutual’s Early Career Internship Program really opened my eyes to the corporate world and also helped me dismiss what I had previously heard about working at a Fortune 100 company. Everyone I encountered during my internship was willing to teach, help, mentor, or simply say "Hi". Every day I learned both new soft skills and technical skills, and I was able to notice my own progression as the summer went on. I was continually given the same work my colleagues were doing, so I was able to gain real Fortune 100 working experience in just one summer."
Nithya, Marketing – "This summer has been such an amazing experience. My manager and mentor gave me projects that allowed me to truly make a lasting impact. The fact that I was doing important work really meant a lot to me, and I saw tangible results come out of my projects. The structure and support that the Early Career Program provides is also unparalleled. The Early Career Program team really cared about our professional and personal development, giving us the opportunity to participate in professional learning and networking opportunities throughout the summer. From this summer, I have discovered what I want to pursue in the career ahead of me, and for that I am beyond grateful to ECP and all the people that make it happen."
Committed to Diversity and Inclusion
Our employees are the embodiment of the idea that we all are stronger and better through our support for one another. By valuing people for who they are, how they think, and what they bring to the table, we’ve become a stronger, more innovative company. We continue to receive external recognition for our policies and programs that seek to create a diverse and inclusive environment.
- America’s Best Employer for Diversity – Forbes (2019)
- Score of 100 on the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index (2019)
- National Association for Female Executives Top Company for Executive Women (2018)
- Disability Equality Index® (DEI) Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion (2019)
- Diversity Best Practices Inclusion Index Company (2018)
- Current Sophomore or Junior enrolled in a four-year Bachelor degree program
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Demonstrated leadership skills gained from student clubs, community involvement or work experience
- Demonstrated proficiency in oral and written communication
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without requiring visa sponsorship, both now and in the future
- Cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher
- Strong quantitative and applied mathematic skill set
- Ability to code in various languages: R, Python, SQL, C+
- Investment club exposure
- Strong, creative problem solver
- Strong data analysis skills
- Able to influence others and demonstrate strong consultative skills
- Works autonomously, self-starter
- Intellectually curious and agile learner
- Able to demonstrate strong business acumen
- Minor in Information Technology or Computer Science
- Demonstration of MassMutual’s Core Values: Act with Integrity, Focus on the Customer, Value People, Work Collaboratively, and Achieve Results