Co-op July 2022 - Software Engineer at Klaviyo
At Klaviyo, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and perspectives each Klaviyo (we call ourselves Klaviyos) brings to our workplace each and every day. We believe everyone deserves a fair shot at success and appreciate the experiences each person brings beyond the traditional job requirements. If you’re a close but not exact match with the description, we hope you’ll still consider applying.
Klaviyo is a Boston startup located right in the heart of downtown Boston. We craft software helping thousands of e-commerce companies to have engaging relationships with hundreds of millions of consumers. We love taking on tough engineering problems and look for full-stack engineers who specialize in certain areas but are passionate about building, owning & scaling features end to end from scratch and breaking through any obstacle or technical challenge in their way. We push each other to move out of our comfort zone, learn new technologies and work hard to ensure each day is better than the last.
What you'll be doing:
- Wholly owning features that thousands of our customers rely on daily to reach 100,000,000+ of consumers to drive their business forward.
- Working on crafting our highly scalable real-time data pipeline that processes billions of events weekly across data sets growing to petabyte scale.
- Working on a deep analytics system that provides insight into hundreds of terabytes of data.
- Be responsible for the mission, technical direction, and operations of projects that have an immediate impact.
- Helping architect and design robust and high-performance data processing and storage systems leveraging new databases to serve different internal and external use cases. Contribute to open-source data processing technologies.
- Contributing to the company as a subject matter expert in multiple areas, constantly pushing yourself to be a better engineer and to level up all of your peers within your team and within Klaviyo.
We'd love to hear from you if you:
- Have experience building products that matter and pushing yourself and your team to be better engineers and build a product with passionate advocates
- Enjoy working with new technologies ranging from the frontend to backend, and are particularly passionate and an expert in multiple stack areas. You show this by having strong and opinionated experience with various technologies and know-how to pick the right tool for any job
- Love digging into performance and scalability issues to drive breakthrough solutions-- whether it's a slow loading UI or too many clicks in a workflow, a database query timing out, or a queue that just won't drain. You recognize all problems can be solved
- Enjoy shipping code early & often in an agile fashion, pairing with product management to craft better software by soliciting feedback from thousands of end-users
- Like working on small, autonomous agile teams. At Klaviyo, you will have ownership of features, but you'll collaborate with everyone to make sure we produce the right solution
Technologies we use
- Python, Django, Celery
- Kafka, Flink
- MySQL, PostgreSQL, Cassandra, RabbitMQ, Redis
- Amazon Web Services (EC2, RDS, Aurora, etc.)
- Terraform, Ansible, Packer, Fabric, ZooKeeper, Kubernetes and other infrastructure management and DevOps tools
We're hiring for the following teams and opportunities. Candidates will be selected and assigned to teams based on their interest, skills and abilities. When applying have in mind which of the following team(s) you're interested in:
- Accounts & Authentication: Application security and user management (80% back-end/20% front-end)
- Content: Acquiring new customers w/ on-site forms, dynamic web personalization, and building an intuitive drag & drop email template editor (20% back-end / 80% front-end)
- Data Science: Leveraging data science to improve how customers grow faster (90% back-end / 10% front-end)
- Email: Shipping billions of personalized email & push messages every month (80% back-end / 20% front-end)
- Flows: Making money for customers while they sleep (60% back-end / 40% front-end)
- Integrations & Commerce: Fetching billions of e-commerce data points every week from 50+ upstream providers as well as powering Klaviyo commerce services (80% back-end / 20% front-end)
- Reporting, Segmentation & Profiles: Give customers the ability to query our internal data stores in intuitive interfaces and managing millions of real-time segments across billions of consumer profiles (80% back-end / 20% front-end)
- SRE Building: internal infrastructure used by all Klaviyo engineering teams and leveling other teams up on running highly reliable/secure systems (100 back-end / 0% front-end)
- Storage: Build a massively scalable metrics aggregation service to store trillions of data points (90% back-end / 10% front-end)
Get to Know Klaviyo
Klaviyo is a world-leading marketing automation platform dedicated to accelerating revenue and customer connection for online businesses. Klaviyo makes it easy to store, access, analyze and use transactional and behavioral data to power highly-targeted customer and prospect communications. The company's hybrid customer-data and marketing-platform model allows companies to grow by fostering direct relationships with customers, without giving up their valuable data to popular big-tech ad platforms. Over 265,000 innovative companies like Unilever, Custom Ink, Living Proof and Huckberry sell more with Klaviyo. Learn more at www.klaviyo.com.
Klaviyo is committed to diversity and to a policy of equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.