Head of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Panorama Education
Panorama Education, based in Boston, is a fast-growing technology startup focused on radically improving education. With research-backed surveys and an industry-leading technology platform, Panorama helps school systems gather important stakeholder feedback and act on data to improve student outcomes. Today, we support more than 10 million students in 11,500 schools across 48 states, including those in the states of Iowa, Hawaii, and the districts of New York City, Dallas, Seattle, San Francisco, and more.
Panorama helps educators monitor how students are doing across academics, attendance, behavior, and then coordinate action to support each child. Panorama also collects data that is key to each child’s success in school and life, such as social-emotional skills, safety, sense of belonging, teacher-student relationships, and family engagement. Panorama has raised $45 million from Emerson Collective, YCombinator, Spark Capital, Owl Ventures, Uncork, and others.
About the Role:
Panorama is seeking to hire a Head of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) to join our People Team! In this highly visible leadership role, the Head of DEI will build and influence systems, policies, products, internal structures, culture and capacity. Panorama’s DEI strategy centers on five core areas of work:
- Equity of Practice
- Data, Accountability & Commitment
- Training & Development
- Retention & Inclusion
- Embedding DEI into our business and product
The Head of DEI will be responsible for the leadership, creation and delivery of company-wide OKRs, actions and initiatives related to this structure. As a participating member at Leadership Team meetings, this role is empowered as an Equity Officer for Panorama and also a member of the Panorama Leadership Team. Additionally, this person governs the chartering of DEI working groups, evaluates the impact of DEI institutional learning and development efforts as well as all other program initiatives under Panorama's DEI Strategy, and provides strategic leadership for continued cultural transformation and organizational engagement with DEI values and priorities. Moreover, the Head of DEI will be responsible for analyzing, presenting, sharing and offering solutions on trends and metrics, including identifying needed data, finding methods to gather that needed data, and developing, building and/or partnering on solutions, programs and policies that contribute to the success of equity and inclusive practices at Panorama.
The person in this role is included in, investigates and partners with the People Team on all DEI/EEO/ADA reported employee concerns and builds external relationships for Panorama. This role will have a half-time support resource to support the delivery of expectations. The Head of DEI will report to the Chief People Officer with a dotted line to Panorama’s President and is currently 100% remote through 2020 and will then be based in the Boston office or remotely within the U.S.
What We’re Looking For:
- At least 5 years work experience working on or with DEI, Learning & Development or Talent management Programs and evaluating organizational structures, systems and institutional policies to ensure Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the workplace. Experience in a workplace DEI leadership role with demonstrated results
- Ability to build strategic functional relationships within the business and provide guidance on functional DEI metrics and goal building
- Ability to participate and engage in leadership team meetings, staffing discussions and other people or product-related meetings to provide DEI perspective in each of those contexts
- Experience as a trusted Equity Officer for Leaders, managers and team members partnering, participating in and/or facilitating discussions and action steps
- Demonstrated ability to build, nurture and sustain relationships and partnerships at all levels of an organization, including building credibility and trust across an organization
- Demonstrated experience leading, managing or supporting cross-functional DEI projects
- Experience designing and scaling DEI initiatives or programs across and within functions
- Ability to partner closely with members of the People Team on all People Practices where needed including but not limited to Talent Acquisition, Compensation, Employee Relations, Performance Management and Practice & Policy development
- Demonstrated experience identifying knowledge gaps and providing solutions-based leadership in addressing those
- Demonstrated experience identifying training needs for functions, managers and/or employees including experience developing and successfully delivering curriculum for training related to DEI and cultural competency
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, collaboration, and conflict resolution and skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, along with excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines and prioritize.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a demonstrated ability to think critically about organizational structures and impact.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of supporting the resolution of complex employee relations issues.
- Working knowledge of federal and state equal employment opportunity laws, regulations and compliance obligations
- Bachelor’s degree
- Passionate about making an impact in education and diversity, equity and inclusion and the intersection between the two.
- Working knowledge of some human resource disciplines specifically employee relation, talent acquisition and performance management preferred
- SPHR-HRCI or PHR-HRCI or SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP desired
- Experience working in tech, education or start-up culture
Panorama Education is dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive company because we serve students, educators, and families from tremendously diverse backgrounds and identities across the country; we’ve seen how our product and impact are strengthened the more we reflect that diversity. In addition, we have found (and we believe the research) that diverse teams are higher-performing, and we embrace the varied perspectives that our team members share with each other. As such, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer.