Director of Payroll Operations at Indigo
DIRECTOR OF PAYROLL OPERATIONS
Indigo is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is an economically desirable and accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, grow healthy food for all, and conserve resources for future generations. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes to improve crop health and productivity, Indigo’s portfolio is focused on cotton, wheat, rice, corn, and soybeans. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with commercial and customer service based in Memphis, TN. www.indigoag.com
The Director of Payroll Operations will be responsible our company’s overall payroll operations, growing the payroll team and helping to scale the entire payroll process as we experience exponential growth. This role requires a passion for processes and organization, as well as the desire to have a positive impact on our fast-growing workforce. This role will be based in Boston and will report to the Corporate Controller in Boston.
- Own semi-monthly payroll process from start to finish with very minimal oversight and no errors, ensuring YTD payrolls are error-free and W2s and other regular processes are error-free and completed on time
- Manage the payroll processing cycle times to ensure they meet internal business performance indicators.
- Evaluate the requirements for an ESPP and develop a plan to design and roll out such plan when approved.
- Maintain excellent relationships with internal customers and vendors with impeccable customer service.
- Collaborate with the People team to ensure efficient and timely processing of new hires and terminations.
Resolve day-to-day issues that arise relating to payroll and benefits.
- Responsible accessing the growing needs of payroll and building out the payroll operations team with A plus talent.
Partner with the Workday implementation team.
- Partner with HRIS Manger on system enhancements and upgrades and testing thereof
- Strategically creates efficiencies in the processes that touch every stage of our employment life cycle, including onboarding, promotions, office and company transfers and terminations.
- Assists with various internal and external financial and tax audits including but not limited to SOX compliance, financial and tax audits, workers’ compensation, department of labor and other audits as needed.
- Ensures that payroll practices are compliant with state and federal employment laws, including but not limited to state registrations and evaluating tax consequences and other financial consequences.
- Partner with the People team on all 401(k) related matters, including but not limited to audits, inquiries, and enhancements.
- Ad Hoc reporting & special projects as needed.
- Partner with stakeholders to define and implement required guidelines and policies. Formalize procedures to ensure compliance with stated policies and controls, including audit.
- Partner with International offices to create a global process including approval and maintenance of employee information, coordination and resolution of payroll or withholding issues, and compliance with statutory requirements.
- Motivates others to deliver best work and develops A plus players
- Highly trustworthy, ethical and able to handle confidential material
- Extremely organized with strong attention to detail
- Understand and embody Indigo’s mission & core values
- Works well cross-functionally in a collaborative manner
- Rolls up sleeves and digs into the work to get things done
- Comfortable flagging items outside of policies; persistent when it comes to following up, and works with others to prevent future issues
- Highly process-oriented
- Team player who is open to creative ideas and doesn’t just fall back on doing what’s always been done
- Positive, can-do attitude with exceptional customer service
- Pro-active ownership in work and takes extreme pride in their work product
- BA/BS with a major in Business Management or Finance
- 7-10 years of payroll processing experience, with at least 2 consecutive years of payroll at the same company
- Experience with multi-state payroll
- Experience in a fast-paced publicly-traded company with at least 2,000 plus employees and able to handle exponential growth
- Knowledgeable employment tax rules and payroll implications
- Understanding of compliance requirements for stock option activity and related compliance reporting
- Solid understanding of payroll concepts required, experience working with ADP a plus
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders. An ability to influence for greater outcomes.
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution oriented.