Director of HR at XL Fleet
This position is a key leadership role within the company responsible for all elements of the people processes and guiding company culture. It will also be a go-to-team member for the entire XL organization. This individual should be a highly organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, creative, resourceful, adaptable, entrepreneurial team player who shares a passion for clean technology. He/she should possess excellent organization and communication skills, a strong work ethic, as well as flexibility to adapt to new and unforeseen challenges that regularly confront a start-up organization. The role is well-suited for someone with a desire to make a significant mark on an emerging business and to drive an inclusive and high performing organization. This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer and will work closely with the leadership team and entire XL organization.
Responsibilities covering HR, Communications and Facilities are diverse and include; leadership guidance and coaching across the executive team, driving employee engagement and communications, leading compensation & benefits programs, championing positive employee relations, providing strategic facilities oversight and management, evolving staff training programs, optimizing performance development and management processes, continually improving onboarding and off-boarding of personnel and HR process development and implementation including recruiting, employment law compliance, and payroll administration.
- Compensation and benefits administration. Throughout the year – coordinating compensation planning, health, dental, 401(k), life and disability insurance, and others; serve as the lead point of contact within XL during open enrollment; implement other creative company benefits & rewards with the goal of attracting and retaining top talent
- Employee engagement and communications –developing and managing ways to share business and performance updates, company messaging and value proposition for employees and candidates, working with the leadership team to implement a two-way engagement/communication plan
- HR Processes and Policies. Assist in the development and implementation of people processes for example prepare and maintain employee handbook and other policies as needed; ensure all policies, procedures, employee classifications, etc., are up to date and are legally compliant and reinforce the company culture
- Recruiting. Manage XL's recruiting efforts to attract the best and brightest talent to the company; this includes working with hiring managers to understand job requirements, developing relationships with and serving as key company liaison for all recruiters, ensuring jobs appear on key job boards, coordinating the entire interview process, maintaining relationships with universities and co-op programs, reporting against key performance indicators on recruiting to senior management team. Manage XL’s presence on key job boards/platforms
- Employee relations. Own positive employee relations efforts and optimize processes for successful and smooth on-boarding and off-boarding of all employees
- HR Processing. Maintain and ensure compliance of all key confidential records of business (i.e. employee records, confidentiality agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and other contracts); maintain HR information system records through various platforms
- Performance Development. Implement and administer the performance development program and the annual evaluation program to ensure employee development, performance and, compliance within the organization. Champion employee learning plans and CI capabilities.
- Payroll. Manage payroll in conjunction with the HR PEO (outsourced service provider) for both bi-weekly and semi-monthly basis
- Facilities Management. With an eye on employee engagement and the culture, champion all aspects of space and facility management including future space planning and on-going liaison with landlord management for existing sites
- IT Support. Manage outsourced IT resource and activities
- Strong interest in work that makes a difference, learning every day, and having fun along the way
- Bachelor’s degree and five-to-eight years of human resource experience; MBA a plus
- SHRM certification a plus
- Experience with ADP is preferred but not required
- Strong organizational and time-management capabilities
- Proficiency with basic productivity software (e.g., Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Creative and impactful written and oral communication skills and excellent facilitation skills
- Vendor management expertise
- High level of professionalism, ethics, integrity, and experience coaching leaders
- Capable of working both independently and as part of a fast-moving team
Additional projects and focus areas. Champion items that evolve as the business grows and expands