Head of People Operations
Who we are
BookBub is one of the fastest growing consumer tech startups in Boston. Millions of readers use BookBub every day to find great books, and our service helps thousands of leading publishers and authors drive sales and find new fans. Connecting readers with great deals on ebooks is just the beginning for BookBub. We're growing our team to launch new consumer-facing book discovery features, marketing tools for authors and publishers, and other web and mobile products that address the digital transformation of the publishing industry. Learn more about what to expect working at BookBub.
About the position
BookBub is looking for an experienced leader to head up our People Operations department, a group focused on recruiting, supporting, retaining, and developing the 80+ members of the BookBub team. The person who fills this position will report directly to the head of the company, become a member of the organization’s executive team, take over managing a nascent department, and further grow the skills and size of the group to fill the needs of the company.
Here’s a sample of what someone can expect to accomplish with the People Operations department in their first year running the group:
- Establish themselves and the department as a trusted confidant of professional guidance and advice to people throughout the company
- Empower managers to efficiently hire an additional 20+ people who best fit the needs of the organization
- Become a trusted steward of company culture and employment brand positioning, codifying and evangelizing it to prospective candidates, new employees, and the media
- Initiate methods for soliciting employee feedback to figure out the biggest needs and most impactful ways to support and empower them
- Launch organization-wide initiatives with company leadership to address identified needs around employee support and development
- Assess ways to improve diversity and inclusivity at the company, and spearhead improvements that strengthen the company in this area
- Grow the People Ops team in size and skill set, and keep the team fulfilling the needs of the organization
Ideal candidates for the position will have the following experiences and skills:
- Years of experience building and running a team where they spent significant time hiring, training, and successfully performing various management duties
- Seasoned leadership skills and a track record of gathering various perspectives and galvanizing new organization-wide initiatives
- A deep sense of empathy and a high emotional quotient; an ability to intuit, understand, and channel needs and perspectives of a diverse set of individuals
- Specific experience developing People Ops programs in a startup or similar high-growth environment where standard processes haven’t yet been established or need to change frequently to address a growing organization
- Direct experience working in a People Operations role is a plus but not a requirement; candidates with a significant background in hiring, training, support, management, or who have served as a chief of staff may have equally fitting experience for this role
- An MBA or equivalent educational experience is also a plus
BookBub offers competitive benefit options including medical, dental, vision, 401k, and take-what-you-need paid time off. Learn more about what to expect working at BookBub.
BookBub strives to be an inclusive workplace and we value learning from different perspectives. We seek to foster an environment filled with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.