Full Stack or Backend Software Engineer (Class of 2018)
Who we are
BookBub is one of the fastest-growing consumer tech startups in Boston. Millions of readers use BookBub every day to discover great books, and our service helps thousands of leading publishers and authors drive sales and find new fans. We're constantly growing our team to launch new consumer-facing book discovery features, tools for authors and publishers, and other web and mobile products that address the digital transition of the publishing industry. Learn more about what to expect working at BookBub.
Our engineering philosophy
We’re looking to grow our engineering team and are on the look-out for engineers who are enthusiastic, intellectually curious, and hardworking! Each engineer works on one of our small 2-4 person teams, which have the autonomy to uncover the best solutions to our toughest challenges. We lean heavily on automation and continuous deployment to ensure we’re constantly getting rapid feedback from our users, and follow the approach of starting small, shipping often, and deferring unnecessary complexity.
In your first six months, you’ll likely:
- Ship code to production ~100 times via our continuous deployment pipeline
- Pick up a few new programming techniques and hear about several new technologies from our continually-learning team
- Build, launch and test several significant new book discovery features
- Write lots of integration and unit tests (no separate QA team here)
- Engage in many deep technical discussions with really friendly and talented engineers
- Tackle at least a couple of tough scaling challenges
- If you don’t know it already, you’ll learn our stack: Rails, AWS, Postgres, Redshift, React.js, Redis, AWS Lambda, Ansible, Docker, etc
- Bright, inquisitive software engineers
- Engineers who love to learn and teach; to be both mentors and mentees
- Engineers whose curiosity and love of learning is illustrated by their pursuit of experiences -- whether it's TA'ing a class, joining a club, or having personal side projects
- Good judgement on technical tradeoffs, with a strong bias towards simple and pragmatic solutions
- Want to go fast, but at a sustainable pace -- we're building a business with long-term value
BookBub offers competitive benefit options including medical, dental, vision, 401k, and take-what-you-need paid time off. Learn more about what to expect working at BookBub.
BookBub strives to be an inclusive workplace and we value learning from different perspectives. We seek to foster an environment filled with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.