Front End Software Engineer
Front End Software Engineer
EdX is an open-source learning destination with a mission to provide high quality education for everyone, everywhere. Founded by Harvard and the MIT and based in Cambridge, MA, edX is focused on transforming online and on-campus learning through groundbreaking methodologies, game-like experiences and cutting-edge research on an open-source platform.
EdX is looking for a Front End Software Engineer to join our Business Engineering team to help us change the face of education. The Business Engineering team supports businesses that need to provide high-quality education to their workforces at scale. You will be the front-end expert on the team, working closely with engineers, product management, and user experience (UX) to build elegant solutions that delight our users.
You’ll use modern tooling like React and Sass to build software that is scalable, reliable, and easy to use. If you're excited about a deeper command of front-end capabilities, and creating user interfaces that are accessible and enjoyable to everyone - this is the opportunity for you!
During the first few months you will:
- Learn edX’s technology stack, participate in our Scrum process, and take advantage of our continuous integration process to ship code as soon as it’s done
- Establish strong working relationships with your cross-functional team, and with other front-end experts at edX
- Apply your talent to solve multiple business and user experience challenges
- Focus primarily on front-end development. Since we’re a team you’ll also pitch in wherever else help is needed, such as back-end work or even improving our CI tooling
- Participate in and have the chance to influence front-end technology decisions at edX
- Contribute to our common pattern and component libraries used across edX web applications
- Provide guidance to other engineers on frontend best practices through code reviews and other feedback mechanisms
- Demonstrate a “you build it, you run it” mindset of ownership
- Have regular, meaningful conversations with your team lead about growth and career development opportunities
- Have some fun!
- 2-5+ years experience with front end frameworks such as React, Vue, Angular, Backbone, etc.
- Experience working in an agile development environment and distributed version control.
- Strong collaboration skills, ability to influence and evangelize ideas.
- If you've taken any edX courses, let us know about it in the application!
- Experience with ES2015/ES6+ and related tooling (Babel, Webpack, eslint, etc.)
- Experience with SASS compilation patterns and task frameworks (e.g. Webpack, gulp, grunt, etc).
- Demonstrated knowledge of the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
- Familiarity with assistive technology, such as screen readers, screen magnifiers, and alternative software and hardware based input mechanisms.
- Contributor to or consumer of Open Source Frameworks.
- BS in Computer Science or related professional experience.