MassMutual’s Corporate Finance organization is completing a significant transformation that includes:
- Redesigning processes, systems and experiences to operate more effectively and efficiently.
- Creating greater access to data to make better informed decisions.
- Positioning the Finance organization to provide thought leadership and advice to stakeholders across the enterprise.
As part of this transformation, the organization is looking for an innovative and experienced individual as its Treasurer. Reporting directly to the Head of Financial Planning and Analysis and elected by the Board, this position will lead a team responsible for:
- Identifying and executing opportunities to optimize MassMutual’s financial position and results and create enduring value through capital markets transactions, tax planning and similar initiatives
- Overseeing the development and implementation of an enterprise-wide capital budgeting and allocation framework that will have implications for how we measure business and enterprise returns, price our products, hedge and otherwise manage our debt and equity capital.
- Enhancing our bank relationship strategy and framework to maximize our position and seize strategic opportunities
This position will partner closely with other teams like cash operations, reinsurance strategy and investment management.
Comfortable leading and influencing across the organization, company and external partners and suppliers, the successful candidate will be a strategist, consultant, implementer, coach, collaborator and role model. This role is a unique opportunity for an individual with investment banking, capital markets and financial planning expertise to lead a team with clear roles and objectives and contribute at the highest level to the execution and governance of the company’s finance strategy.
This role is responsible for:
- Strategies to improve financial performance and conditions, to include:
- Balance profitability, investor demand, and market conditions
- Remain current on effective structures for financing, credit facilities, and spread lending as well as innovative structures from competitors, banks and others
- Govern the establishment and maintenance of all internal and external credit facilities as well as sale leaseback relationships
- Lead the administration and governance of surplus notes, contingent capital, commercial paper and other capital market transactions
- Present to the investor and banking community on MassMutual financial strength
- Optimize capital sources and uses
- Ensure comprehensive financial statement analysis of all optimization efforts, capital management activities, new transactions, M&A, new legal entities, etc
- Collaborate with investment management on risk/reward and forecasting cash availability for investing
- Liquidity and capital management
- Participate in and drive risk mitigation activities for stress testing results
- Monitor and serve as the expert on capital frameworks (NAIC, rating agencies, international jurisdictions, etc). Be an advocate for the company in various industry and regulatory groups, committees or forums
- Manage all regulatory and rating agency capital modeling, monitoring and documentation
- Create and maintain an effective written capital management strategy including target capital levels and allocations aligned to strategy
- Lead MassMutual’s Capital Committee
- Manage and monitor cash forecasting (e.g. concentration, liquidity)
- Serve as Risk Owner for liquidity positions
- Bank relationship strategy and framework
- Serve as the relationship manager for all investment banking relationships
- Enhance and govern overall bank and financial institutional relationships across businesses and subsidiaries, including both operational bank oversight as well as transactional (investment banking) relationships
- Optimize organizational trade – negotiate fees; develop informed relationships that are productive for MassMutual; with MassMutual management, encourage new business opportunities
- Bachelor’s degree with 15+ years of progressive Treasury, capital management, financing, and/or insurance banking solutions experience
- Corporate Finance, with understanding of corporate finance, capital markets, life insurance and/or asset management industries, strongly preferred
- Operational experience in cash management, custody management, and/or bank relationships
- Expert in executing financing and credit transactions
- Ability to influence management on key decisions while leveraging data and analysis
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships. Influencing and collaboration skills are a must in this role
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to express ideas in an articulate, organized and persuasive manner
- Able to work well under pressure and manage multiple deliverables
- Demonstrated success leading and managing high performing teams; inspires others to take positive action, especially in challenging situations; maintains high, but fair, standards; uses appropriate feedback mechanisms and reward systems to improve team and individual performance
- Able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.