Transaction Advisory & Accounting Policy Consultant
The Transaction Advisory & Accounting Policy Team is part of the Corporate Controller organization within MassMutual. This position will be a direct report to the Head of Transaction Advisory and Accounting Policy. As part of an ongoing transformation of Controllership function, the Transaction Advisory & Accounting Policy team is looking to add a key strategic member to the group. This position will have high visibility to the Controller’s and CFO’s leadership teams.
A successful candidate will need to have the capacity to navigate through varied business activities and work collaboratively with colleagues in the Finance organization, as well as across MassMutual’s lines of business and operating groups. In doing so, this individual will gain a thorough working knowledge of MassMutual’s line of business finance and accounting processes, procedures and operations and continue to develop a strong foundation in technical accounting.
The candidate should also possess outstanding written and verbal communication skills. The individual will have a strong technical accounting background, preferably with experience in the insurance industry, and a strong work ethic. Additionally, we expect to see the ability to collaborate with management, peers, and stakeholders in order to effectively influence and effect change.
- Work closely with MassMutual Finance line of business personnel in the review and analysis of significant, complex business transactions to determine the proper accounting and reporting for MassMutual.
- Develop relationships with key finance and accounting stakeholders across MassMutual, including leadership across the Finance organization, lines of business, and operations.
- Monitor, evaluate, and influence the development of and implementation of emerging accounting requirements from the FASB, NAIC and other regulatory bodies.
- Regularly formulate opinions and provide updates on emerging accounting issues for discussion with the Head of Transaction Advisory and Accounting Policy, as well as the Corporate Controller.
- Proactively engage lines of business in assessing impacts and participating in the accounting standard-setting process. This includes coordination with accounting standard setters and regulators to advocate Company positions on accounting issues that could potentially impact the Company.
- Lead efforts to define the company’s application and implementation of new accounting standards, as well as other regulatory reporting matters.
- Design, develop and communicate additions or updates to corporate accounting policies. Have a thorough assessment of risk and associated mitigation options as it relates to changes to accounting policies.
- Provide training on new policy implementation and application.
- Other Responsibilities Include:
- Continually evaluate departmental processes and recommend process improvements.
- Establish and maintain strong, collaborative partnerships with the Company’s external auditors and regulators.
Core Competencies Include:
- An ability to execute thoroughly in a fast-paced work environment, adapting quickly to changing conditions to achieve results.
- Ability to think creatively, map out solutions and drive their implementation
- Strong project management skills with the capability to adapt quickly to achieve goals
- Drive collaborative solutions and results with peers across the organization to gain support for ideas and execute on projects that deliver value to stakeholders
- Comfortable leading meetings, making strategic recommendations and giving presentations to increasingly large audiences.
- Minimum of five years of professional accounting experience, including experience at a large public accounting firm and/or experience in the accounting policy team of another leading financial institution
- Experience in policy setting and research is a strong plus
- Advanced Degree preferred. CPA required.
- Ability to take initiative to influence and drive results within a complex organization
Position Location: Boston