Strategic Insurance Accountant at MassMutual
Strategic Insurance Accountant
Do you want to be part of a team that encourages your growth, supports your ambitions and makes it a priority for you to reach your goals? Is helping people part of who you are? At MassMutual, we help millions of people find financial freedom, offer financial protection and plan for the future. We do this by building trust with our customers by being knowledgeable problem solvers and prioritize their needs above all else. We Live Mutual.
Why we need you
We’re growing, and our clients deserve the best. The Corporate Finance Organization, as a trusted partner, has the mission of maximizing our potential to deliver policyowner value through financially based solutions and guidance.
We support our employees by providing resources, training, tools and a culture that values their contributions. We also provide many options to help employees find balance in their daily lives. We have been around for a very long time because we prioritize our customers, invest in our employees and make sure that we are at the forefront of industry innovation. Your work will help our customers secure their future and protect the ones they love- we all play our part.
Do you like to solve complex problems, while thriving in a collaborative work environment? Are you excited by creating optimal organizational effectiveness and supporting a platform for innovative insights? Would you want to be part of a team that encourages your growth, supports your ambitions, and makes it a priority for you to reach your goals? If yes … keep reading, this opportunity is for you!
This role will be an individual contributor role in the Controllers Organization and will report directly to the Insurance Controller. This position will contribute to the team whose main focus will be on MassMutual’s insurance activities, business units and related legal entities.
This person will support the functions of the Insurance Controller team as follows:
- Provide sound financial advice to the insurance business units, anticipating the financial statement impact of changes in the business environment and making recommendations to ensure appropriate and beneficial accounting treatment.
- Proactively identify financial reporting risks and opportunities within the insurance business unit’s activities and translate that into decision-useful improvement recommendations.
- Use increasing insight to identify and implement improvements that increase the business value and efficiency of the work performed. Initiate and/or oversee increasingly complex projects and continuous improvement activities.
- Understand how data flows through the financial systems to the accounting function, planning appropriately for changes, prioritizing, and implementing enhancements.
- Work on projects with varying levels of complexity supporting the Controllers organization and/or the businesses.
In collaboration with the other teams in the Controllers Organization:
- Communicate the financial reports and information to key stakeholders
- Provide subject matter expertise guidance to stakeholders in working on highly complex accounting matters, including new standard implementation, capital management transactions and developing processes to address them, ensuring any issues are communicated appropriately to senior management.
- Develop, document, and assure adherence to an internal control framework that ensures accurate and timely financial reporting. Make recommendations to continuously improve the overall control environment.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA or advanced degree in Accounting
- Minimum of 5 years of accounting or finance experience
- Experience in fast-paced, agile and flexible work environment
- Must have broad financial acumen, as well as a strong control orientation
- Must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship now or in the future
- Experience on a management reporting and analytical team
- Effectively use data visualization, in summaries and/or dashboards, to enhance translation of data and findings in brief and intelligible format, suitable for internal and external audiences
- Possessing, or the ability to develop, a working knowledge of life insurance actuarial concepts
- Familiarity with life insurance concepts and topics
- Oversight over and communication of the financial reporting and controls residing within the insurance business units and related legal entities
- Preference for successful demonstration of skills pertaining to customer focus, change & innovation, strategic thinking, relationship building & influencing