We are looking for a driven, collaborative and creative person that will be responsible for developing and executing the quarterly GAAP and STAT financial forecast for MassMutual’s consolidated investment portfolio which includes insurance entities, affiliates and strategic investments. This individual will participate in the capital market assumption process and scenario development work which drive MassMutual’s various forecast scenarios. In addition, this person will be responsible for developing and producing NII analysis about our forward-looking earnings and surplus volatility. The design of the investment forecast process will have an appropriate level of governance.
The Net Investment Income Lead is a highly critical and influential role within the Strategic Planning and Forecasting team at MassMutual, and reports to the Head of Strategic Planning and Forecasting. This individual needs to be proactive and highly responsive to client needs, anticipating upcoming deliverables and taking accountability for proper execution. The timing, accuracy and hands-on execution of deliverables must be managed carefully and to ensure useful attribution of NII results.
The ideal candidate will have experience in leading financial and investment forecast processes as well as be fluent in life insurance or annuity products, investments and capital markets. This individual should excel at working collaboratively and cross-functionally with subject matter experts to ensure that the investment forecast incorporates material assumptions. The ideal candidate will need to excel in communications with team, peers and leaders within and outside the communications function. An understanding of financial statements and our various capital regimes is a must, along with the ability to translate and distill complex financial issues into usable facts and suggestions. The ideal candidate will also have experience with business intelligence technology.
Understanding MassMutual’s competitive and financial position, as well as strategic imperatives, will be critical. Things move fast at MassMutual and the successful candidate must be able to ‘roll with it,’ and be hands-on when required.
The team is currently located in Springfield MA and Boston MA.
- Drive MassMutual’s NII Forecast and Plan processes with continuous focus on refining models, . identifying and driving improvements to better tell the story and model different scenarios
- Analyze NII results for all asset classes including but not limited to investment grade bonds, mortgages, investment partnerships and/or derivatives
- Provide analysis and reporting on Insurance, Asset Fee, and Investment margins
- Report and analyze earnings for the overall General Account)
- Analyze actual NII for MassMutual’s distribution channels and explain changes from prior quarter and forecast
- Enhance overall forecast / budget governance to ensure that the process is operationalized and executed in a consistent manner every time, provide stewardship to address cross-functional governance issues
- Participate in the design of future forecast scenarios
- Provide support, modeling and financial analysis of potential future investment structures
- Serve as an internal expert, consultant and resource accountable for investments and asset structuring (data, tools / technology, accounting, financial impacts, etc.); inform FP&A and Corporate CFO of monthly and quarterly investment trends and market updates
- Effectively identify, utilize and present data in a way that facilitates evidence-based decision-making
- Drive strategic initiatives such as Investment Dashboards; promote and develop self-serve analysis, detailed reporting, and utilization metrics while ensuring excellent quality controls
- Provide best in class internal and external customer support
The ideal candidate would have the following skills, experience and competencies:
- 10+ years of work experience with a track record of increasing responsibility
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, actuarial science, economics, finance or related discipline
- Master’s degree in business administration, finance or related discipline and professional certifications such as CPA, MBA, FSA, CFA and-or FCIA preferred
- High degree of financial acumen including but not limited to:
- GAAP and STAT Technical accounting expert on investments and derivatives
- Strong understanding of various asset classes including; IG Bonds, mortgages, private equity, real estate and derivatives
- Deep knowledge of investment concepts such as allocation models, segmentation, analysis of investment margin, and attribution analysis
- Familiarity with capital frameworks, predictive forecasting techniques, and scenario modeling
- Strong analytical skills; ability to analyze financial data sets and tell the story of the data
- Experience with data platforms including; Bloomberg, Thomson One, SNL, and Rating Agencies
- Previous accounting policy experience highly desired
- Proven ability to complete high quality work efficiently and increase autonomy over time
- Experience with M&A, different types of legal entities, transfers of financial assets, and consolidation
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships across cross-functional groups
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to express ideas in an articulate, organized and persuasive manner to leadership, staff, rating agencies, etc.
- Able to work well under pressure and manage multiple deliverables
- Able to travel between Boston, MA and Springfield, MA as needed