Head of Financial Controllership at MassMutual
The Head of Financial Controllership is a newly created role that will be responsible for the leadership and transformation of all transactional accounting and controls for all MassMutual business activities. The person in this position will lead a team and report directly to the Corporate Controller.
Reports to: Corporate Controller
Other Relationships: Senior leadership within CFO, Controllers Organization and the business
- Lead and manage a team responsible for transactional accounting activities across investments, insurance, benefit, health and welfare plans as well as various other MassMutual legal entities including oversight and collaboration with offshore sourcing partners
- Guides the team in working with accounting policy on highly complex accounting issues and developing processes to address them, ensuring the issues are communicated appropriately to senior management
- Responsible for oversight and coordination with strategic entity investments/subsidiaries, such as Barings, with respect to their financial reporting over various transactions
- Proactively identifies financial reporting risks and opportunities within the underlying business unit activities and translates that into decision-useful improvement recommendations.
- Provides sound financial advice to business units or other departments, anticipating the financial statement impact of changes in the business environment and making recommendations to ensure appropriate and beneficial accounting treatment.
- Understands how data flows through the financial systems to the accounting function, planning appropriately for changes and prioritizing and implementing enhancements.
- Establish and enhance governance and internal control procedures and maintain and consistently improve upon a strong control environment
- Collaborate and partner with other MassMutual business units and corporate functions to ensure the accurate, timely and efficient submission of data required to meet financial reporting requirements
- Collaborate closely with other Controllers teams, such as the financial close team and external reporting to ensure the accurate recognition of accounting for various transactions and events
- Collaborate with accounting policy and other areas within the Controllers Organization on the evaluation of new GAAP and statutory reporting impacts to the company; assisting in the implementation of new business financial reporting processes
- Collaborate with Financial Reporting Risk within Enterprise Risk on control matters, as needed
- Uses increasing insight to identify and implement improvements that increase the business value and efficiency of the work performed. Initiates and/or leads increasingly complex projects and continuous improvement activities that may span beyond the scope of own team's responsibilities
- BS in accounting or finance; MBA or equivalent preferred
- Certified Public Accountant
- 10-15 years of relevant experience from public accounting and/or public multinational companies
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of US GAAP and statutory accounting and financial reporting regulations
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work with senior management and influence decision making
- Strong multi-tasking skills and ability to adapt to change
- Ability to proactively take ownership of projects and drive them through to completion
- Experience working in a Finance transformational setting; driving change and managing competing priorities
- In-depth knowledge of US GAAP; Statutory and SEC Rules and Regulations
- Ability to perform and lead a team to perform independent research and prepare analyses of the impact of accounting and regulatory pronouncements on the company’s financial statements and accounting and disclosure practices
- Experience in best-in-class control execution/documentation
- Detail-oriented with demonstrated oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work with all levels of personnel, from staff to executive management
- Authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship now or in the future