Director of Taxation at Toast
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
We are looking for a Director of Tax to lead Toast’s global tax function! The candidate will report to the VP & Global Controller and oversee all aspects of the Company’s tax related activities including direct and indirect matters, strategies and compliance, managing both domestic and international external advisors.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Responsible for managing all tax transactions including US sales and use tax, VAT and GST and the corresponding compliance and risk mitigation
- Provide guidance on the tax language in customer contracts clarifying the company’s tax responsibilities and provide input on the application of withholding taxes for customers in certain foreign jurisdictions.
- Own the global income tax provision including identifying and documenting uncertain tax positions and tax contingencies and all related footnotes and disclosures in the financial statements
- Help address tax related issues in determining new product/service contracting structures and commercial flow
- Engaging in M&;A and all non-standard transactions requiring tax engagement
- Manage the engagement and utilization of external advisors on various projects
- Design and Implement new systems, processes and controls with a focus on building for scale, automation and accuracy
- Establish and implement the company’s short and long-term tax strategies
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- 12+ years of relevant tax experience, including in public accounting and at a multinational publicly listed company
- Experience with growing a tax reporting function and building processes for scale
- Expert knowledge of US GAAP tax accounting and financial statement disclosures relating to taxes
- Significant experience with managing US tax compliance obligations, including analyzing and documenting tax positions.
- Exposure to international tax issues and M&A activities
- Experience working on indirect tax matters and compliance
- A proven ability to research and communicate complex technical tax issues clearly to non-tax team members and work effectively across functional teams and senior leadership
- Flexibility to react quickly to changes in tax laws including proposed changes) as well as changes in the company’s products and services
- Strong project management, planning, and organizational skills – including the ability to prioritize multiple projects simultaneously in a fast paced environment
- The ability to develop and mentor other members of the organization.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
*Bread puns encouraged but not required