Corporate Insurance Investment Accountant - Mastery (Hybrid) (Greater Boston Area, MA)
Corporate Insurance Investment Accountant - Mastery
Controllers Organization of Corporate Finance
Boston, MA or Springfield, MA
*We are hiring for either our Boston, MA or Springfield, MA office locations in a Hybrid setting where you will be onsite approx. 2 days per week.*
About the Corporate Controller Organization:
The Controllers Organization is responsible for delivering on the foundation of credibility and control of the core financial information leveraged across Finance to communicate with leadership, key business partners and regulators on the enterprise's actual results, forecast implications and strategic decision making. This work considers legal entity structures, distribution channel, and product results as well as how these impact our capital optimization and operating liquidity.
We are a diverse group of professionals experienced in and responsible for accounting, financial reporting, tax, policy and controls, cash operations, corporate finance data and systems management as well as wealth management finance activities. We are seeking engaging professionals with strong communication skills and deep intellectual curiosity to ensure the timely and efficient reporting of results. We not only perform the required activities. We are looked to as business partners who add value by challenging existing operating practices strengthening controls and highlighting trends and insights.
This Corporate Insurance Investment Accountant is a newly created position that oversee corporate insurance investment accounting for Investment Management. This position reports to the Head of Investments Controllership and resides within the Financial Controllership team, a critical team within the Controllers Organization which aspires to be best in class financial stewards for MassMutual.
This is an opportunity for an individual who thrives in a highly dynamic and agile accounting environment to collaborate across teams focused on solid execution and improving outcomes. We are seeking an accounting professional who wants to join a highly motivated team of professionals focused on proactively driving the development and execution of process improvements, meaningful analysis and improved coordination with the business partners for Investment activities.
As a member of the Financial Controllership Team, the incumbent will be involved in shaping the future of the organization, developing tomorrow's leaders and supporting the on-going growth and analysis within the Investment Controllership team.
- Creates an environment whereby the team is inspired, engaged and motivated by identifying opportunities to learn and grow.
- Manages priorities effectively and adapt quickly to achieve goals while developing efficiencies and established methods in the process.
- Thrives in a complex corporate structure and comfortably switch gears and alter course to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Plays a key role in leading a collaborative and inclusive culture by working closely with Investment Management and other Controllers teams.
- Uses professional insight to identify and implement accounting improvements that increase the business value and efficiency of the team.
- Initiates and/or leads increasingly complex projects and continuous improvement activities.
- Responsible for leading problem solving to improve quality, cycle times, increase efficiencies, improve employee engagement and customer satisfaction.
- Oversees asset classifications to ensure consistency with the Company's accounting policies
- Leads the completion of accounting models and transaction memos for financial transactions related to Investment Controllership ensuring accuracy and compliance with the appropriate accounting regulations.
- Monitors impacts of accounting guidance changes and partners with Investment Management to ensure systems and processes are properly changed to ensure appropriate accounting and reporting
- Coordinates the reporting and analysis for Investment Controllership supporting standardization to serve various customers.
- Makes recommendations to continuously improve the overall control environment and monitoring the control environment for Investment Controllership.
The Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related major
- At least 6 years of related work experience with a track record of increasing responsibility
- Significant knowledge and experience of U.S. GAAP
- Knowledge and experience with U.S. Statutory guidance required
The Ideal Qualifications
- CPA or CFA preferred
- Master's degree preferred
- Knowledge and experience of investments
- Strong analytical skills: ability to analyze financial data sets and tell the story of the data
- Proven ability to complete high quality work efficiently and increase autonomy over time
- Experience analyzing new investments and accounting guidance to drive appropriate and preferred investment accounting and reporting across the Company and subsidiaries
- Experience with different investment types and structures
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships across cross-functional groups
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to express ideas in and articulate in an organized and persuasive manner to leadership, staff, regulatory bodies, etc.
- Able to work well in a dynamic and agile environment while leading the team in execution of various priorities and related deliverables
- Intellectual curiosity to continue learning and adding breadth and depth to understanding
What to Expect as Part of MassMutual and the Team
- Regular meetings with the Investment Controllership team
- Focused one-on-one meetings with your manager
- Access to mentorship opportunities
- Networking opportunities including access to Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, African American, women, LGBTQ, veteran and disability-focused Business Resource Groups
- Access to learning content on Degreed and other informational platforms
- Your ethics and integrity will be valued by a company with a strong and stable ethical business with industry leading pay and benefits
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.