Soofa is the neighborhood news feed that connects a community with screens everyone can see and anyone can use. We're a woman-founded MIT startup with a mission to make cities smart, social, and sustainable.
As Soofa completes its Series A round raise, we're seeking an experienced startup CFO to join our leadership team to help drive outsized growth, establish and evolve core financial processes, and provide strategic insights as we evolve and scale the business. This is an opportunity to evolve a unique business at the intersection of OOH advertising, smart cities, and IoT hardware, bring credibility into the boardroom, and play a key role in raising and deploying funds as we continue to scale.
For the first year, the ideal candidate will be excited to take over a majority of admin and controller roles themselves. Bonus points for getting through permit/sales agreements and general legal documents quickly and/or past experience setting up benefits. While scrappy (limited resources), this job requires love for detail and process showing in a stellar P&L, board slides, and impeccable data room.
Candidates from underrepresented communities are especially encouraged to apply. Remote applicants (U.S.-based only) welcome, Boston area preferred.
Soofa is for people with a shared stake in a special place. Learn more about Soofa's culture here.
Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Advise the CEO and other key members of senior management on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters
- Serve as the management liaison to the board and audit committee; effectively communicate and present critical financial matters at board of directors and committee meetings
- Contribute to the development of Soofa’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the entire team informed of all critical issues
- Represent the company externally, as necessary, particularly in banking and lease negotiations
- Oversee, direct, and organize the work of the finance and operations teams
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Ensure team receives timely and appropriate training and development
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, and monitor and evaluate results
- Upgrade and implement an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures
- Plan, coordinate, and execute the annual budget process
- Ensure we adhere to the strategic plan, delivering status reports to the board and preparing board meetings
- Provide analytical support to the company’s internal management team including development of internal management reporting capabilities
- Improve administrative and operational accounting services such as treasury management, payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing
- Run audit process
- Manage cash flow
- Raise and guide funding, including venture capital and debt
- 10+ years' experience in a senior management role with both external audit and in-house financial management experience gained in a high-growth organization
- 6+ years' management and mentorship experience
- Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization
- Recent experience scaling a finance operation from inception to at least $40 million in annual revenue
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution
- Experience with activity-based project costing
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment with fluctuating priorities and deadlines
- M&A finance experience
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results-oriented
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and administration initiatives
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, Soofa's board of directors, and staff
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical and strategic thinker
Bonus Points For
- Startup experience
- Experience in the OOH advertising space
- CPA and/or CMA (preferred but not required)
Perks of Working with Soofa
- Best of both worlds: Soofa’s Cambridge HQ is open, safe, and compliant for anyone who wants to use it; or, work from home
- Generous healthcare, dental, and parental leave packages
- Free short- and long-term disability and life insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Dog-friendly office
- Virtual team events
- Team activities like ski trips, camping, Whiskey Wednesdays, etc.
- Company culture focused on talent development and caring personally
Soofa is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, genetic information, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Soofa is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.