Assistant Corporate Controller at CarGurus
Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US and we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
The Assistant Corporate Controller is a highly visible and critical position providing leadership to the company’s accounting and reporting function. This position will report into the Corporate Controller. This role will have a broad scope of responsibilities across the accounting function and have visibility across the organization. The individual must demonstrate a strong ability to interpret and apply accounting principles in accordance with U.S. GAAP, provide meaningful reviews and feedback on a broad array of matters and have excellent project management skills.
What You'll Do:
- Coordinate and oversee the internal audit and external audit processes, including quarterly reviews and the year-end audit
- Manage month-end close process
- Review month-end journal entries and account reconciliations
- Manage updates to accounting policies
- Manage statutory audit requirements and filings
- Review and distribute monthly financial reporting packages for Executive Team
- Prepare board materials for Audit Committee
- Review of Forms 10-Q/10-K/8-K in accordance with U.S. GAAP and SEC requirements
- Review financial disclosures within quarterly and annual earnings releases, investor decks, and other communications
- Provide technical accounting expertise in SAAS revenue recognition topics under ASC 606 including variable consideration, multiple element arrangement considerations, timing of revenue recognition, gross versus net accounting treatment, and accounting for new products and features
- Provide technical accounting expertise in other accounting areas including share-based compensation, ASC 842 leasing, capitalized website development costs, internal use-software, judgmental estimates and reserves, annual goodwill impairment assessment
- Provide accounting support for special ad-hoc projects as necessary
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required
- 8+ years of total accounting experience with increased level of responsibility
- Big 4 public accounting experience highly preferred, CPA required
- Technology/SAAS and public company experience, highly preferred
- Strong system skills including experience implementing ERP systems or scaling ERP system capabilities in a growing company. NetSuite experience strongly desired.
- Ability to challenge and improve existing processes through automation and redesign
- Strong leadership and coaching skills with experience managing and mentoring teams.
- Excel at project management including ability to establish and consistently meet deadlines of a public company
- Motivated team player with the ability to work in a fast-paced, forward-moving environment
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada and the UK. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.