Technical Manager - B2C Hotels at TripAdvisor
Our Hotel’s team is focused on building the world’s best hotel experience for our travelers. This combines both our consumer facing side for travelers to come to research, plan, and book the perfect hotel. As well as building a platform for our suppliers: hoteliers, and OTAs to advertise and display their prices with corresponding availability.
Auction, a key team of Hotels Business, is responsible for powering business driven services (700M+ revenue) and critical process at Tripadvisor. Few key responsibilities of team are services with 99.99% uptime, performing business tasks every second:
- Run billions of real-time auction everyday using sophisticated bidding logic at a large scale for OTAs and Hoteliers displaying on our sites
- Display right offers to travellers for accomodations
- Enable personalized user experience and target efficient bidding for individual partners by building platform to publish machine learning models in real time
- Enable multiple types of auctions framework and various monetization mechanisms such as CPC and CPA,
- Build/track/leverage real time clicks data for billing and optimization
If you get excited by working on multiple systems, operate them effectively, solving complex problems in multiple domains, this is the team for you.
TripAdvisor is built on a massively scaled infrastructure and utilizes modern web technologies to create a cutting edge product. Our product feedback loop is immediate which means we can rapidly iterate and deploy. Our tech stack is primarily Java based. You will be provided with both a Mac laptop and a Linux dev server for your daily work environment. Our storage engine is PostgreSQL, our backends are all moving to micro-services, and our web front ends in React and web components. With the number of consumers who use TripAdvisor on a daily basis, you can imagine that our big data is exactly that, and so you will be working with Hadoop (Hive, Spark, M/R) and Snowflake. Auction makes liberal use of ML here, so you also will have the chance to support, or take part in, significant optimization projects.
Engineers work on game changing features that are seen by millions of people a day. The primary responsibility of this role will be managing a team of engineers responsible for Auction System.
You will be responsible for:
- Managing high caliber engineers to design forward looking solutions for Hotels and other key Tripadvisor Business Units.
- Building engineering roadmap for updating/building systems and performing capacity management of the hardware
- Coaching, mentoring and developing engineers and providing career development planning and opportunities
- Development and digging into systems, reports and logs when problems arise along with delegating and prioritizing the work needed across the team
- Breaking complex projects into discrete tasks and resource them appropriately to meet deadlines
- Keeping systems in a healthy state with smoothly running day to day development
- Interfacing with Analytics, Product management, Business development teams
Can you enable highly iterative agile development by breaking down complex projects, such as the ones mentioned above, into discrete tasks? Are you a leader that can mold bright young developers into seasoned veterans? Are you a collaborative partner with Analytics, Product Management, and Business Development? Are you capable of hands-on development and digging into reports and logs when problems arise along with delegating and prioritizing the work needed across the team?
- You have a BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent.
- You have at least 6 years of software development experience, with at least 2 years managing a team.
- You show a sense of ownership and pride in your role as a leader, and you can make us believe you’ll excel.
- You have consistently exceeded expectations throughout your career, and you can describe specific activities and projects that demonstrate this behavior
- You can manage a team towards long-term goals while delivering new capabilities daily
- You have the ability to work with everyone from engineers to product owners to C-level executives to help communicate, prioritize, influence and inform key product decisions.
- You have successfully hired and built teams including interviewing, on-boarding, and mentoring.
- You find the live operations of your team’s code fulfilling and worth getting right.
- It would be great if you had in-depth and hands-on knowledge of full-stack web development or service development in Linux/Java environment. Microservices and React knowledge are even better!