Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Toast is looking for a Technical Escalation Engineer to play a meaningful role on the team that is responsible for triaging, diagnosing and solving issues and requests filed by our Customer Support teams. The Technical Escalation team helps address customer pain, save engineering time and promote learning opportunities between Support and Engineering departments. Our team ensures that reported issues are responded to and resolved as quickly as possible, while liaising between support and engineering to ensure that each team is properly engaged and that expectations are properly set (internally and with the customer).
Some projects we’ve been working on recently include:
- Identifying product issue trends over time being reported by Toast Support teams
- Working with Support and Services Management to identify areas where training and/or process improvements are needed
- Tracking the relationship between incoming technical escalations to new, and known engineering issues in our backlog
About this roll* (Responsibilities):
- Relied upon as a subject matter expert with a wide breadth of product knowledge
- Able to diagnose most issues and provide solutions, answers, and workarounds to Support to communicate with the customer.
- Collaborating with development teams and support representatives to push forward needed actions to solve customer pain
- Writing thorough tickets for bugs that you discover while solving issues.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements):
- Passionate about customer experience, understanding the urgency of our customers’ needs
- Solution-oriented in how you attack problems(workarounds, configuration problems, etc)
- Proven experience writing and understanding SQL queries
- Familiarity with Java, and HTML (the ability to write in these languages is not required)
- An interest in, and commitment to continuous learning
- You’re well known for having a get unblocked attitude
- Previous experience with monitoring tools (Splunk, Sentry, and DataDog) is preferred
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations, and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large-scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform, we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.
*Bread puns encouraged but not required