PathAI's mission is to improve patient outcomes with AI-powered pathology. Our platform promises substantial improvements to the accuracy of diagnosis and the efficacy of treatment of diseases like cancer, leveraging modern approaches in machine learning. Rigorous science and careful analysis is critical to the success of everything we aspire to do. Our team, comprised of diverse employees with a wide range of backgrounds and experiences, is passionate about solving challenging problems and making a huge impact.
At PathAI, we develop ML models that need to run on Gigapixel pathology images. This requires training, inference and evaluation infrastructure that can be applied on scales of magnitude larger than the vast majority of computer vision applications. Our ML Platform is the core technology that powers the full range of our company’s ML needs, from research activities to clinical products. In order to fulfill our mission to improve patient outcomes and drive the company's growth, our ML platform needs to continue to scale, both in terms of the algorithms used and in the volume of compute.
We're looking for a skilled hands-on Engineering Manager to act as a player/coach, helping to train and build our growing team of software engineers and machine learning engineers to take the platform to the next level. You will work to drive initiatives, and communicate regularly with stakeholders. You will be part manager, leader, mentor, engineer and ally to product management and other stakeholders.
- Experience mentoring and/or building a team of engineers. We are looking for someone who can think long term about hiring and training.
- Ability to align engineering teams to business goals and help drive delivery.
- Ability to bring big picture perspectives to the team while staying on-hands with the technical details.
- This role is a collaborator - we are looking for someone to join forces with other team leads including infrastructure, biomedical data scientists, product management, other engineering groups, and key product stakeholders.
- A recent history of working applying machine learning in production settings.
- Drive and uphold high engineering standards, bringing consistency to the codebases you encounter and ensuring software is adequately reviewed, tested, documented, and integrated.
- Engineering skills. We expect Engineering Managers to be capable of operating as a Staff-level Engineer, so you'll have spent a number of years building machine learning systems with industry-standard frameworks, such as PyTorch, Argo.
- Management experience. You've been around the block more than a couple times, Ideally 10 years of work experience with a proven track record of managing a team of 5 or more engineers.
- Education. Generally, a bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering is really helpful in working with our team on this kind of work.
- An insatiable intellectual curiosity and the ability to learn quickly in a complex space.
For the right candidate, we'll offer a competitive salary plus equity. Your compensation is rounded out by a strong benefits package:
- Flexible work hours, with work-from-home options available
- Three weeks of paid leave per year, an additional two weeks of sick time, plus extended holidays and team-approved leave
- Ten days of 100% subsidized childcare per year
- Healthcare, vision, and dental insurance plans (HMO or PPO), with voluntary add-ons available for dependent care, life, and accident coverage
- Commuter benefit available for public transit or parking
Most importantly, you'll be doing important work with a team of people you'll genuinely enjoy spending the day with.
PathAI is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace that is free of harassment and discrimination. We base our employment decisions on business needs, job requirements, and qualifications — that's all. We do not discriminate based on race, gender, religion, health, personal beliefs, age, family or parental status, or any other status. We don't tolerate any kind of discrimination or bias, and we are looking for teammates who feel the same way.
PathAI does not accept unsolicited submissions from third-parties.
With the rise of employment phishing scams, especially during the current COVID-19 situation, we ask candidates to be extra vigilant. Be careful about providing any kind of personal information, such as location, age, or financial information to recruiters who may be impersonating PathAI employees. PathAI does not require payment for interviews or for applicants to purchase their own work supplies for reimbursement.