Staff Software Engineer at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
The Branded Channel Technology team within Grubhub focuses on providing the set of technologies used by restaurant partners to power their own branded online ordering experiences. Developers on the team work primarily in Ruby on Rails and Java in order to build and maintain the core set of systems that power this restaurant ecosystem. We are a team of smart, highly motivated engineers that place a high value on writing well-crafted, thoroughly tested, and maintainable code.
As a Staff Engineer on the Branded Channel Technology team, you will be responsible for building, maintaining, monitoring, and scaling our product offerings for restaurant partners. Our team enables restaurants to take ownership and customize their own personalized mobile and web channels to obtain, market to and engage with their diners. We develop features that allow restaurant partners to leverage Grubhub technology within their own applications, including delivery, ordering capabilities, and third-party integrations. We also build and maintain many of the partner APIs which unlock these same capabilities for partners looking to develop their own experiences.
The Impact You Will Make
- Develop highly-available, fault-tolerant features for our platform.
- Collaborate with leadership, product owners, and technologists to deliver features that increase the offerings & efficiency of our systems.
- Understand our products from both a technical and business perspective and help us drive innovation.
- Build and deploy features with limited or no reliance on QA.
- Be accountable for delivery, deployment, maintenance, monitoring the performance of the application and the platform.
- Be a proponent for improving our platform, processes, and tools.
What You Bring to the Table
- 8+ years of experience building highly-scalable consumer-facing applications with a modern web framework like Rails or Django (Rails experience strongly preferred).
- Ability to architect, build, and maintain systems supporting complex business processes.
- Experience architecting, designing, and developing testable, fault-tolerant, and performant software.
- Experience with relational database design fundamentals (PostgreSQL)
- Experience developing and consuming RESTful APIs
- AWS experience, or similar cloud-based offerings.
- Strong fundamentals (data structures, algorithms).
- Familiarity or experience developing highly-available distributed systems (5x9’s uptime etc.)
- Experience mentoring/coaching engineers along with overseeing the technical work of developers from other teams.
- Experience with distributed architecture designs and design patterns.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Competitive Pay. You’ll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific)
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
- COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it’s safe to return.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you’re applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email [email protected]