Staff Software Engineer (Menu) at Toast (Greater Boston Area, MA)
Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Every restaurant is unique, and a restaurant’s menu expresses its individual brand and product offerings. Inside a Toast restaurant, the definition of the menu becomes the common language between guests, servers, and the kitchen. In our digital ordering products, a great menu serves as both a billboard and a roadmap to an excellent dining experience. A menu is always evolving: kitchens create new dishes, managers experiment with pricing and presentation, and staff optimize the menu for restaurant operations.
We strive to create products that will satisfy the vast breadth of our restaurants while making each restaurant feel like we built Toast just for them. We offer an extremely powerful and configurable platform, but we want to make sure that restaurants can figure out how to set up their first Toast menu with no questions asked. Come join our Menus team to help us deliver a great experience to our customers!
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Design, build, deploy, and maintain highly resilient and scalable features in Toast’s menu management products
- Lead complex projects that improve functionality and reliability for our customers
- Roll features out to customers, including monitoring for success
- Review code to ensure technical implementations meet functional requirements
- Mentor and coach other engineers
- Collaborate with UX and PM on the definition and design of features
- Collaborate with team to plan and estimate work
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Extensive experience working with an Object Oriented Language like Java or Kotlin, with a deep understanding of testing, quality, and best practices
- Experience building backend services and APIs and scaling distributed systems
- Experience shipping critical production services and balancing getting things done with platform stability and reliability
- Focused on delivering positive impact for Toast customers
- Enjoys working in a team environment with a shared code-base
- Excellent cross-team communication skills on complex technical topics
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected]
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.