Staff Software Engineer - Diner Engineering Team at Grubhub
Got a taste for something new?
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you’re looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas–all while having fun together–Grubhub is the place for you!
We’re Grubhub, the nation’s leading online and mobile food ordering company. Since 2004 we’ve been connecting hungry diners to the local restaurants they love. We’re moving eating forward with no signs of slowing down.
We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to provide technical and architectural leadership for a key Restaurant engineering team. You will conceptualize, design, build and deploy new and innovative products and services for the Grubhub Platforms. Our Staff Engineers wear a lot of hats - including hands-on coding, mentoring developers, influencing our product vision, and designing our system architecture. We have high standards for code quality, all forms of testing, and intelligent architecture.
The Impact You Will Make
- Architect, implement and test technology solutions at Grubhub
- Motivate and advise technical solutions across multiple cross-functional teams
- Take technical responsibility for a family of systems - manage technical debt, be on the lookout for opportunities for improvement, and work with system engineers to keep our production systems scaling and performing wickedly fast
- Actively contribute to the adoption of software architecture, best practices, and technologies.
- Participate in future product direction
- Act as a technical voice for the restaurant engineering group
- Encourage continuous delivery and an experimentation-centered development process
- Mentorship including development and career planning for your team members
What You Bring to the Table
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field
- 7+ years experience building highly-scalable consumer-facing applications (e-commerce preferred)
- 2+ years in a leadership capacity or 5+ years experience with leadership responsibilities
- Provides mentorship and coaching on career growth and development in a formal setting
- Masterful understanding of front end frameworks, React/Redux and Typescript are preferred
- Masterful understanding of Java (5+ years experience)
- Experience architecting, designing and developing testable, fault tolerant, and performant software
- Masterful understanding of unit testing, integration testing, and load testing
- Mastery of service and system level architecture
- Experience successfully building distributed and highly available systems
- Experience with AWS and Cloud Infrastructure
- Experience and understanding of Non-Relational Databases
- Understanding Cassandra specifically is a plus
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO/PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Competitive Pay. You’ll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
- COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it’s safe to return.