About The Opportunity
Grubhub is dedicated to connecting hungry diners with our wide network of restaurants across the country. Our innovative technology, easy-to-use platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities make us an industry leader today, and in the future of online food ordering.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diversity of our customers and the communities we serve. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, take risks, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process.
We have a fast-paced environment and that is what our teams thrive on. Grubhub believes in empowering people and offering opportunities for development, as well as professional growth. We value strong, positive relationships in all areas: with each other, our customers and our greater community. DO you want to be part of a team of diverse collaborators in an authentically fun culture? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
As a Staff Engineer, you will be responsible for building, maintaining, monitoring and scaling the systems responsible for streamlining restaurant onboarding, menu management and direct-to-POS order processing.
The Impact You Will Make
- Hold yourself and your team to a high standard of quality and mentors others where possible.
- Identify and advocate for your team to address technical debt before it becomes urgent.
- Identify opportunities for automation and advocates for them where appropriate.
- Consistently write performant code and acts as a mentor within their team.
- Able to proactively debug and resolve performance, stability, and reliability issues of any complexity.
- Understand how code performs in production and the upstream and downstream impacts it might have on other systems.
- Addresses security issues and vulnerabilities and provides guidance to other engineers on their team.
What You Bring to the Table
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Programming, or Engineering related field preferred
- 7+ years experience building highly-scalable, consumer-facing applications
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies
- Demonstrated ability to mentor/coach engineers
- Knowledge of, or experience with developing distributed systems
- Strong knowledge of Relational Databases (Postgres preferred)
- Familiarity with eventually consistent databases (Cassandra/MongoDB/CouchDB)
- Experience developing & consuming Restful APIs
- Rails experience strongly preferred
- Familiarity or experience developing highly-available systems (5x9’s uptime etc.)
- Familiarity in working with containerized environments
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees are provided a generous amount of time to recharge their batteries.
- Health and Wellness. We provide programs that support your overall well-being such as generous medical benefits, employee network groups, company-wide fitness challenges, and a comfortable and casual workplace! We also support our parents by offering 8 weeks of paid parent bonding time, a 4-week returnship program, and 6-8 weeks paid medical leave.
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. From day one, we empower you to lead and be an active participant in your career growth. We provide continuous learning opportunities, training, and coaching and mentorship programs.
- MealPerks. Who’s ready for some lunch? We provide our employees with a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants. We also offer company-wide meals several times a year to bring our Grubhub family together.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives. Some of our popular past events include: Wing-eating contests, Grubtoberfest, 5k Runs, Bring Your Child to Work Day, regular happy hours, and more!
- Social Impact. We believe in the importance of serving the communities that support our business. In addition, employees are given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.