Staff Engineer - Front End at Grubhub
We're all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you're looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas-all while having fun together-Grubhub is the place for you!
Come join the Grubhub team in Boston to help build the next-generation growth engine for restaurants, connecting brands and guests with a seamless customer experience that blends analytics, loyalty, and rewards. And now as part of one of the nation's leading online and mobile food ordering companies, Grubhub is on the front lines creating an even more complete solution for restaurants.
As a Staff Engineer on the Restaurant Dashboard, you will be defining, designing, building, maintaining, and scaling new and innovative products and services for our restaurant partners. You'll spend time coaching your peers, bringing the best out of all of our ideas to provide compelling product offerings, capabilities and feedback loops that keep our restaurants in control, informed, and help them to grow their businesses, and help keep our technical brand managers focused on keeping those restaurants satisfied.
Our Staff Engineers wear a lot of hats - including hands-on coding, mentoring developers, influencing our product vision, and designing our system architecture. We have high standards for code quality, all forms of testing, and intelligent architecture.
The Impact You Will Make
- Architect, implement and test technology solutions at Grubhub
- Provide technical mentorship, guidance and quality-focused code review to your team members
- Coach your team on how to translate product needs into wise choices
- Build and maintain large-scale, high-availability web applications with an active and growing user base
- Collaborate with Frontend Platform engineers to contribute patterns and libraries that can set the standard across GrubHub engineering
- Construct reusable components and front-end libraries for future use across our product suite
- Translate designs and wireframes into high quality code
- Optimize components for maximum performance across a vast array of web-capable devices and browsers
- Ensure quality by designing SLOs, and balancing the tradeoffs between our UI, integration and unit test suites
- Identify, triage and solve complex issues and problems in timely and efficient manner
- You will work with your team to monitor and ensure the health of the platform, which includes a 24/7 hour on-call rotation, to ensure a great customer experience.
What You Bring to the Table
- Extensive professional experience (7+ years) with front-end web development, including command of a modern framework - React preferred
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or ample real world experience
- Familiarity with common front-end development tools such as Babel, Webpack, NPM, etc.
- Experience with TypeScript preferred.
- Familiarity with a modern server side framework - Rails preferred
- Strong proficiency using and building RESTful web APIs
- Familiarity with Agile software development methodologies
- Strong understanding of responsive design
- Distributed version control experience with Git
- Self-directed and responsible for deliverables of yourself and fellow team members
- Team player with excellent written and spoken communication skills
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO . Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Competitive Pay. You'll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
- COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it's safe to return.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you're applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email [email protected]