At Hopper, we’re on a mission to make booking travel faster, easier, and more transparent. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing travel app -- one that enables our customers to save money and travel more. With over $235M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its path toward becoming the go-to way to book travel as the world continues its shift to mobile.
Recognized as the fastest-growing travel app by Forbes and one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company two years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 40 million times and has helped travelers plan over 100 million trips and counting. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Webby Award for Best Travel App of 2019, the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016 and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
Take off with us!
As a Software Engineering Manager, you will lead a team of software engineers to innovate and solve challenging problems, impacting millions of users. You will be an influential technical leader, developing the technical strategy and leading the architectural design for your team. You will collaborate closely with product managers to drive the product direction, making sure we solve the right problems and find ways to delight our customers. You will lead your team to break down complex problems, and implement robust and scalable solutions.
You will develop a culture of operational excellence and develop best practices for deploying reliable software quickly. You will develop effective hiring and onboarding processes, and providing feedback, coaching, and professional development for the team. You will develop processes to coordinate and deliver on projects in a timely manner.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Lead the team to make technical tradeoffs, system design, and buy-vs-build decisions
- Develop processes that enable the team to quickly deliver high quality software that solves real user problems
- Set the technical direction for the team, partner with product management to prioritize and organize the roadmap
- Implement development processes and own the operations for the services your team builds
- Scale the team by establishing good processes, hiring and onboarding new developers, and developing an effective team structure
- Providing coaching and mentorship
- Manage requests from multiple stakeholders and competing priorities
- Influence the strategic direction of the product
THE PERFECT CANDIDATE HAS:
- 3+ years professional experience in commercial or web-scale system software development and delivery
- 4+yrs experience in hiring and leading software engineering teams of 5+
- Understanding of at least one modern programming language such as Scala, C++, Java, or Python
- Demonstrated experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs
- Demonstrated experience developing and deploying scalable machine learning systems
- Strong business and product judgment and record of making the right decisions
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Passion for technology and technical leadership
• Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
• Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business
• 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
• Access to a 401k (US) or Retirement Savings Plan (Canada)
• Easy commute with a paid-for public transportation or parking pass
• IATA Travel Agent Card for discounts in the travel industry
• Fully stocked kitchen with: coffee/tea, beer, bagels and snacks (both healthy and not-healthy)
• Team lunches, offsite activities and much more!