Software Engineer - Web App at Embark Veterinary
Love dogs? This is the place for you!
Discover your dog more than fur deep with the most comprehensive DNA test on the market. Designed by world leaders in dog genetics, in partnership with Cornell University, the Embark DNA Test tells owners what breeds make up their pets, how to prevent future possible health problems, and what features and traits their pet might have. Help us end preventable disease in dogs and improve the lives of pets and their people through genomics.
Embark is the only dog DNA test using a research-grade DNA microarray, letting us give our customers the most accurate and comprehensive results on the market. More importantly, it allows us to do ongoing research into the genetics of dogs, which are a fantastic population for genetic discovery due to selective breeding over time. Our research focuses on mapping new traits and diseases, improving personalized veterinary medicine, and developing new breeding programs to eliminate preventable diseases in pets.
Interested in joining? We’re looking for highly motivated and driven employees who will help us stay on the cutting edge of creativity and innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.
We’re looking for a Full Stack Engineer who is a self-starter and can learn quickly, maintain focus, work collaboratively in an Agile environment, and has a proven track record in shipping products.
- Deliver clean, efficient, maintainable code, as well as thorough tests and documentation.
- Identify possible risks/pitfalls in the areas you are working on and provide practical alternatives/solutions.
- Perform code reviews for others and respond to code reviews on your code.
- Follow coding standards and best practices.
- Contribute to improving our technology and development practices via retrospectives and other means, with the goal of continuous improvement of quality and team efficiency.
- Maintain familiarity with advancements in web engineering technology and frameworks.
- Be encouraged to bring your dog to the office regularly – we all want to meet him or her!
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or related), or equivalent work experience.
- 2-5 years of experience in web application development with a statically-typed language like TypeScript
- Strong knowledge of HTML and CSS for server-side rendered pages.
- Comfortable interacting directly with the database (PostgreSQL) using SQL.
- Must have excellent problem solving, time management, and detail oriented skills.
- Strong programming skills and a proven ability to work within a complex, large-scale project.
- Excellent team player, willing to follow team standards and excited to learn from Senior Engineers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
What We Offer
- Dog-friendly office near South Station, Boston
- Perks tailored for dog lovers including subsidized dog-walking services and paw-ternity leave
- Startup perks with big-company benefits
- Competitive salaries, all-inclusive health care, and equity participation
- A flexible vacation policy along with paid maternal and paternal leave
- Fully-stocked office snack bar and regular office events
- New iMacs and MacBook Pros, or laptops running Linux
- Continuing education including attending conferences
Salary range: $100-140k
Embark Veterinary Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.