Who we are
At CarGurus (NASDAQ: CARG), our mission is to give people the power to reach their destination. It all started in 2006 when Langley Steinert—Tripadvisor’s cofounder—gathered a small team of developers to help bring trust and transparency to car shopping. Since then, our history of innovation and go-to-market acceleration has driven industry-leading growth. In fact, we’re the largest and fastest-growing automotive marketplace, and we’ve been profitable for over 15 years.
What we do
The market is evolving, and we are too, moving the entire automotive journey online and guiding our customers through every step. That includes everything from the sale of an old car to the financing, purchase, and delivery of a new one. Today, tens of millions of consumers visit CarGurus.com each month, and ~30,000 dealerships use our products. But they're not the only ones who love CarGurus—our employees do, too. We have a people-first culture that fosters kindness, collaboration, and innovation, and empowers our Gurus with tools to fuel their career growth. Disrupting a trillion-dollar industry requires fresh and diverse perspectives. Come join us for the ride!
CarGurus’ Consumer Team is looking for a Software Engineer to help our users find the car they’re looking for as efficiently as possible. See your solutions impact millions of global users daily as you seek challenges such as:
- Improve search experience and performance for millions of users across millions of cars globally
- Make the car shopping experience enjoyable and more transparent
- Help users discover the right car for them
- Enable new ways of buying cars, such as buying online and having your car delivered
- Build out platforms to enable us to iterate faster and respond to our consumers quicker
- Work in a multi-functional team with data analysts, product managers, and of course other engineers.
- Participate in whiteboard sessions and design conversations on engineering the best solution to the challenges at hand.
- Test out new ideas with novel and quick experiments.
- Write clean, well-tested, and efficient code.
- Iterate rapidly and deploy changes daily.
- Collaborate with and be mentored by highly skilled engineers.
- Have fun!
- 2+ years of software development experience
- Expertise with Java or similar object-oriented languages
- Solid understanding of MySQL or similar relational database
- Some experience with building scalable websites (e-commerce) or large-scale applications preferred
- Drawn to and thrive in a fast-paced environment that pushes code daily
- Able to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Working at CarGurus
We reward our Gurus’ curiosity and passion with best-in-class benefits and compensation, including equity for all employees, both when they start and as they continue to grow with us. Our career development and corporate giving programs, as well as our employee resource groups (ERGs) and communities, help people build connections while making an impact in personally meaningful ways. A flexible hybrid model and robust time off policies encourage work-life balance and individual well-being. Thoughtful perks like daily free lunch, a new car discount, meditation and fitness apps, commuting cost coverage, and more help our people create space for what matters most in their personal and professional lives.
We welcome all
CarGurus strives to be a place to which people can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—starting with our hiring process. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. We foster an inclusive environment that values people for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives. That’s why we hope you’ll apply even if you don’t check every box listed in the job description. We want to know what only you can bring to CarGurus.
US employees must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. #LI-Hybrid