Software Engineer, Backend at EverTrue
As a Backend Software Engineer you will be directly contributing to the EverTrue platform. You will work with a team of experienced frontend, backend and mobile engineers, as well as collaborating with design and product team members. Backend software engineers help to build solutions in Java, or in some instances, Ruby. You will have the opportunity to use a variety of tools, technologies and frameworks while working with a skilled and creative team to craft, test and support our innovative solutions.
This position is remote-friendly within the continental US as long as hours overlap with our core hours on US Eastern time, but unfortunately cannot sponsor visas for this position. We do have office space in downtown Boston for those interested in an in-office setting.
- Directly contribute to our software by writing high quality code leveraging languages such as Java or Ruby
- Leverage tools and frameworks that are part of our tech stack, such as GraphQL, Spark and Kafka
- Ensure data quality and accessibility by working with data technologies such as MySQL and ElasticSearch
- Work closely with the frontend engineers to design and implement APIs that meet the needs of both web and mobile development
- Collaborate with a team to build high-quality, scalable APIs that follow best practices
- Promote quality through regular code reviews and writing appropriate tests
- Help identify and overcome technical or product opportunities
- Build solutions that are high availability and performant
Who We Are:
EverTrue’s mission is to build relationships in pursuit of a better world. We seek to deliver on this mission through the people we employ and partner with, the values we embrace as a company, and the software and services we offer.
EverTrue embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We value a team that brings a variety of backgrounds, viewpoints, and skills to the table. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better we will be.
We promote autonomy, trust, respect, and passion. Our team strives to share knowledge, celebrate accomplishments, think creatively about our customer’s needs, and have fun along the way.
EverTrue helps fundraising teams build a pipeline of donors and raise more money by:
- Creating comprehensive views of their donors using 3rd party data sources including Facebook, FullContact, Zillow, EventBrite, and Emma.
- Offering mobile-first workflow tools to engage alumni, discover prospects, and manage portfolios of donors.
- Providing actionable metrics to measure and benchmark progress.
Many of the largest universities in the country and more than half of the US World and News top 100 colleges in the US rely on EverTrue. We're cash-flow positive with backing by Bain Capital Ventures and University Ventures. We have headquarters in Boston but close to half of our employees are fully distributed across the US.
Technologies we use:
- Java w/ Dropwizard, Ruby w/ Rails & Rack
- GraphQL, ElasticSearch, Spark, Storm, MySQL, Kafka, Memcached, Redis and Cassandra, Snowflake
- Amazon Web Services, automated by Chef and CloudFormation. This includes services like ECS, RedShift, EMR, CodeBuild, S3, and more.
Who You Are and What Skills You Possess:
- You have worked for 2+ years in software development
- You have advanced proficiency with Java
- You have intermediate proficiency with Kafka
- You are familiar with Ruby, Spark, ElasticSearch and/or GraphQL
- You enjoy working with, learning, and leveraging new technologies.
- You have strong analytical skills and are a creative thinker, willing and able to come up with solutions to diverse and complex problems.
- You can work independently to drive outcomes and build solutions but also thrive in an inclusive team environment, with communication and collaboration being key skills that you leverage consistently.
- You are excited about the Education/Non-Profit Sector and/or have experience with Advancement or Fundraising.
If you’re excited about working for a mission-driven company, we encourage you to apply even if you don't feel like you meet all the criteria.