Software Engineer - Backend / API
Markforged is liberating designers and engineers from the long lead times and high costs of traditional manufacturing. We build cutting-edge next generation cloud connected industrial 3D printers that produce parts 50x faster that are 23x stronger and 20x lower-cost. NASA, Google, Ford, Amazon, Siemens and thousands of companies in 50 countries use Markforged printers to produce same-day prototypes and stronger end-use parts than ever before.
Our software technologies and tools empower our customers to configure print-ready parts, visualize part geometry in 3D, and push to IoT-connected printers for printing. As part of the Software Engineering team, you would be helping to lead the scaling and growth of our 3D printing platform involving end-customer applications and IoT services.
As a Backend Software Engineer you will be responsible for building out and scaling the systems that power our 3D printing platform. We move at a breakneck pace but refuse to compromise on quality. We believe in “doing it right the first time” and investing in code quality, testing, tooling and infrastructure. Your ideas will directly influence the company's future. You will do interdisciplinary work on physical systems and learn from best-of-the-best engineers across MatSci, Mech-E, EE, and Software.
In this role you will:
- Design, build, and maintain APIs, services, and systems across Markforged's engineering teams
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at large-scale
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Plan for the growth of Markforged's infrastructure
- Build a great customer experience for people using your infrastructure
- Build infrastructure that’s specific to our APIs, e.g. serving webhooks with low latency
- Serve as on-call for our API, e.g. responding to API abuse impacting our databases
What we look for:
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- Enjoy and have experience building APIs
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Think about systems — their edge cases, failure modes, and lifecycles
- Know your way around a Unix shell
- Can design, build and operate services that are the foundation of Markforged's cloud printing software
- Can design and implement tooling and automation for clustering, scaling, monitoring and alerting
- Focus on eliminating risks and build reliable, scalable and performant systems
- Are looking for an environment where you and your teammates empower one another to become the best versions of yourselves
- Empathy towards developers, e.g. when making design decisions and breaking changes
- Well rounded throughout the stack, capable of building infrastructure and product code (UI not necessary)
- Derive job satisfaction from abstracting and refactoring
- It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. For instance, we have wonderful team members who are really focused on their customers’ needs and building amazing user experiences, but didn’t come in with as much systems knowledge.
- Strong CS fundamentals
- 1-3 years experience building and shipping high quality code
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, or equivalent
- Experience building APIs, Services and Scaling Systems
- Proficiency in writing Node applications and scaling them to support thousands of users and millions of events
- Knowledge of database internal implementation, particularly SQL planning and optimization
- Knowledge of performance optimization, parallelization, and distributed systems
- Experience with authentication and authorization schemes, building your own solutions and/or leveraging SSO.
- Significant Experience with Schema Design and Query Optimization
- Experience with Go, Rust or Scala (we're not currently using these but bonus points for experience)
- At Markforged, we have a culture that values learning, data-driven decision making, and prioritization
- We learn from failure and are not afraid to keep trying after others have given up
- We are a team of talented individuals and are looking to grow with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of improving how the world innovates
- We offer a competitive compensation package and a full suite of benefits, including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(k), parental leave, commuter benefits, open PTO policy, and more
- Our work environment includes casual dress, a fully stocked kitchen, bike storage, free parking, weekly catered lunches, and fitness perks
Markforged values the differences among our employees and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. These differences include but are not limited to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. This goal emphasizes the development of inclusive work environments that capitalize on each employee’s skills, experience, and unique perspectives as we strive to achieve an unparalleled standard of excellence.
To all recruitment agencies: Markforged does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Markforged employees. Markforged is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Read Full Job Description