Senior Software Engineer at Toast
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Bready* to make a change?
The vision of the Customer Experience Transformation (CXT) teams at Toast is, simply put, to make it easier to do business with Toast. This starts from the beginning of the sales process, and continues as restaurants go through onboarding and ongoing account management. As the CXT Services team, we provide platforms on which these customer experiences are built; we own the management of customers’ business data, we enable the cross-platform configuration of restaurants and software modules, and we have built a service for resilient communication between the Toast engineering ecosystem and business systems platforms such as Salesforce. In addition to the Kotlin microservices we own, we have also been building single-page React apps for administrative UIs. We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team to help us grow and develop these products.
About this roll*
- Implement, monitor, and maintain web applications with guidance from our product manager and product designers
- Collaborate with Toast’s Business Systems and the other Customer Experience Transformation engineering teams to ensure our systems are resilient and highly available
- Contribute to the breakdown of work for a project and communicate trade-offs between schedule vs scope vs quality
- Review code to ensure technical implementations meets functional requirements, as well as our high quality standards
- Mentor and guide less experienced engineers
Do you have the right ingredients*?
- Growth mindset with an emphasis on learning and self/team-improvement
- Experience building and shipping critical production software to customers
- Respectful, empathetic, and humble
- Focused on getting things done and customer success
- Knowledge of or interest in financial services, particularly lending, a plus.
* Bread puns encouraged but not required
Our Tech Stack
Our products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 (or Kotlin) and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. We store data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilize Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The web frontend is built using React, Angular, and ES6. Our main point of sale application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For communication between tablets and our cloud platform, we utilize RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct API communication to our HTTP backend. For robust asynchronous communication across our platform, we leverage Apache Pulsar.