Senior Software Engineer
We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an extraordinary commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help craft the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
The Payments teams at Toast operate one of the most critical portions of the Toast infrastructure: processing payments on behalf of our restaurants and ensuring that restaurants are paid in a timely manner. Payment processing is a key source of Toast’s revenue and also the lifeblood of our customers: we process multiple millions of dollars in transactions per day. Our payment processing systems operate in a highly secure environment with zero downtime, with our engineers practicing strong discipline to keep things running smoothly.
Our payments system is built as a set of Java microservices deployed to AWS, interacting with thousands of Android tablets using modern payments hardware, as well as partners through our API. The payments industry is constantly changing and this team operates right in the middle of it, growing Toast’s capabilities in response to changing markets and customer scale.
Some projects we’ve been recently working on include:
- Building a system that lets Toast securely and quickly link consumer credit cards to loyalty accounts
- Improving the performance of the system used to settle payments in the Toast platform
- Adding the ability for Toast restaurants to adopt Amex OptBlue - a payment option that allows smaller businesses to accept American Express credit cards easily
As a senior software engineer at Toast you will:
- Learn from the problems that operating at scale teaches us, and implement solutions to those problems
- Build systems that can scale to hundreds of thousands of customers, with increasing flexibility and reliability
- Diagnose performance bottlenecks and implement optimizations
- Participate in code reviews to ensure technical implementations meet functional requirements
- Effectively mentor and guide less experienced engineers
Do you have the right ingredients?
- are respectful, empathetic, and humble
- want to work on systems that are critical to customer success
- have experience performing large, complicated changes without breaking (too much) stuff
- can balance getting things done with making things perfect
- are fascinated by cryptography, application security, and fault tolerant systems
- Payments/Fintech industry experience a plus but not required.
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.