Senior Software Engineer - Scheduling at Kyruus
First and foremost, Kyruuvians care deeply about our vision to enable human beings to care for human beings, our mission, and our CORE values:
- Caring – We care about our clients, their patients, and each other.
- Ownership – We own our success and have the courage to make decisions.
- Respect – We respect and enjoy each other's journey, experiences, and gifts.
- Empowerment – We empower our team, our clients, their providers and patients to make the right decisions.
About the Scheduling Team -
A doctor’s calendar is way more complicated than yours or mine. A doctor isn’t simply “free” or “busy”; they have distinct blocks of time to see different types of patients, and rules about how many types a day they can see. Of course, every brand of hospital software implements these rules differently, and every hospital has different rules.
The scheduling team’s mission is to create a single index that can track every doctor and every appointment, and provide the integration back to book appointments. We use big data techniques in AWS Lambda so that we can process this data as quickly as possible, as any and every booking or cancellation affects the index.Kyruus offers the first & only product to search & book multiple doctors across multiple hospitals.
You’ll be passionate that the Scheduling Team’s mission is to enable cross-hospital booking of providers (doctors, physicians’ assistants, etc). You’ll understand how complicated a provider’s calendar is -- every hour has a rule about how it can be scheduled, every vendor models it differently, and every hospital uses the vendors’ software differently. You’ll be self-driven about developing a unifying index for all providers, and a universal endpoint to book appointments.
You’ll design, develop, debug, and test code to support our software products. You’ll understand requirements and translate them into production-worthy capabilities to make progress on our product roadmap and planned customer commits.
- Your typical day will include writing code (mostly in python), using AWS services (mostly Lambda), and reviewing others’ code. You’ll develop unit and integration tests to ensure the quality of the code.
- You’ll participate in and contribute to Agile team activities. You may play a specific role (such as Team Lead or Architect Owner) on your Agile team.
- You’ll ensure stories are on track to be delivered with the sprint. You’ll escalate issues if the stories begin to go off track and work with your team to make necessary corrections to mitigate overall project risk.
- You’ll embrace and consistently apply best practices, coding standards, and patterns for development and deployment of your code. You’ll mentor more junior engineers on those best practices and patterns.
- You’ll investigate alerts about possible errors in our system. You’ll address outages in a timely manner in order to accomplish our technology platform SLAs.
- You’ll work on design and architecture investigations.
- You’ll report to the Sr. Director, Engineering in the Routing & Scheduling department within the R&D - Engineering division.
How You’ll Use Your Professional Skills
You’ll use your 4+ years programming experience to:
- Create APIs (Python Flask and API Gateway) and pipelines (Python and AWS Lambda) reading and writing to DynamoDB and PostreSQL databases. You will also leverage the AWS ecosystem to build serverless applications and use standard tooling like SAM, CodeDeploy, and Bitbucket Pipelines to automate the deployment.
- Accurately estimate work for the sprint cycle and proactively provide updates on your status. Communicate adjustments to your estimates as you have new information in order to ensure your Product Owner can set appropriate expectations about value being delivered by your team.
You’ll use your experience in/familiarity with technologies relevant to Kyruus to:
- Build, scale, and deliver dynamic and highly-available enterprise solutions
- Think creatively about how to use technology and tools to solve problems faced by our users and customers
- Research new libraries and components to add to our system.
You’ll use your communication and active listening skills to:
- Understand the needs of our users and customers at the beginning of each project
- Provide complete, actionable, and timely technical feedback to your Agile team
- Mentor fellow and junior engineers
- Create an inclusive environment where your peers feel motivated to succeed.
How You’ll Know You’re Succeeding
- You commit quality code (lots!) reliably and on time to help the team achieve roadmap goals and customer commits.
- You regularly write excellent documentation.
- You follow Agile practices in your daily and weekly work and are reliable team member
- You provide timely feedback on designs and code changesets and share technical insights, learnings, and best practices with Kyruuvians by presenting at Lunch & Learns, Technical Brown Bags, and internal demos.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.