Senior Software Engineer (Payments Workflow)
"Every day I come into the office, I'm confident there will be a plethora of hard technical problems to solve, and a brilliant team working together to solve them. Toast is scaling its functionality and its customer base faster than any company I've worked for. That ecosystem is keeping me sharp, focused, and relentlessly engaged. Bring it on." - Chris B, Engineering - Payments
Toast is a rapidly growing startup building the first all-in-one restaurant management software platform. Toast’s Android tablet based system helps restaurants operate more efficiently and connect with their customer base in new and innovative ways. For example, our portable tablets allow waitstaff to enter orders directly to the kitchen, reducing guest wait time and allowing the restaurant to turn over tables faster. This is good for the guest experience and good for the restaurant! We’re growing fast and serve cafes, restaurants, bars and nightclubs in all 50 states. We move fast and thus have lots of opportunities for career growth. If you’re passionate about your work and want to be in a fun and growing industry, join us!
Every day, millions of people order food from Toast restaurants. As part of the payments workflow team, you would be responsible for that code that makes a server's life a little easier when a party of twenty wants to split the check (but only these five people ate the appetizer, and one of them and two other people had the brownie). You'd be on the ground floor of building customer-facing extensions to our Android-based point of sale product. You would join four other Toasters in owning the customer experience for new forms of payment, as well.
Some projects we’ve been working on recently, include:
- Customer facing display for increased order accuracy and transparency to consumer
- Re-writing the check splitting workflow to be durable and follow new MVP architectural patterns
- Delivery screen with driver dispatching and maps
As a Senior Software Engineer on the payments workflow team, you will:
- Write and review Java code every day
- Architect an Android application that can run at one location coffee shops and hundred tablet stadiums
- Collaborate with the senior engineers and product management to define technical and product roadmaps
- Mentor engineers
If you’re someone that:
- is interested in mobile and the restaurant industry
- wants to work on systems that are critical to customer success
- enjoys devising technical solutions to solve complex business problems
- communicates clearly up, down and across teams
- can quickly hop into a new codebase and find your way around
- can balance getting things done with making things perfect
- takes pride in mentoring other developers
- likes to get involved in deciding what gets built to solve for the customer and the company
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.