Senior Software Engineer - Full Stack
Love dogs? This is the place for you!
Discover your dog more than fur deep with the most comprehensive DNA test on the market. Designed by world leaders in dog genetics, in partnership with Cornell University, the Embark DNA Test tells owners what breeds make up their pets, how to prevent future possible health problems, and what features and traits their pet might have. Help us end preventable disease in dogs and improve the lives of pets and their people through genomics.
Embark is the only dog DNA test using a research-grade DNA microarray, letting us give our customers the most accurate and comprehensive results on the market. More importantly, it allows us to do ongoing research into the genetics of dogs, which are a fantastic population for genetic discovery due to selective breeding over time. Our research focuses on mapping new traits and diseases, improving personalized veterinary medicine, and developing new breeding programs to eliminate preventable diseases in pets.
Interested in joining? We're looking for highly motivated and driven employees who will help us stay on the cutting edge of creativity and innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.
We’re looking for a Senior Full Stack Engineer with a proven track record of leading teams and shipping products.
- Peer with another Senior Engineer to manage our working processes and oversee all programming related development for the team.
- Be a strong individual contributor, writing code to deliver features and leading the team by example.
- Use your knowledge and experience to ensure the team is delivering clean, efficient, maintainable code, as well as thorough tests and documentation.
- Identify possible risks/pitfalls in all areas of the project and provide practical alternatives/solutions.
- Work closely with the Product team and collaborate with the broader company including the science and marketing teams.
- Evaluate and mentor all members of the web engineering team.
- Provide critical analysis of technology and development practices via retrospectives and other means, with the goal of continuous improvement of quality and team efficiency.
- Maintain familiarity with advancements in web engineering technology and frameworks.
- Guide and inspire the development team, promoting their morale and encouraging them to take pride and ownership in their work.
- Be encouraged to bring your dog to the office regularly - we all want to meet him or her!
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or related), or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of experience in web application development with a statically-typed language like C# or Java; and preferably, Typescript.
- Strong knowledge of HTML and CSS for server-side rendered pages.
- Experience architecting highly scalable web applications, e.g. trading off client-side vs. server-side rendering, monoliths vs micro-services, etc.
- 1+ years of experience developing with Node.js and, preferably, Express, including issues like deployment, maintenance, monitoring and optimizing Node in production.
- Experience working with Typescript on Node at an advanced level.
- Expertise in interacting directly with the database (PostgreSQL) using SQL.
- Experience with DevOps using AWS or similar cloud platforms.
- Strong programming skills and a proven ability to design and implement complex, large-scale systems.
What We Offer
- Competitive salaries, all-inclusive health care, and equity participation
- Startup perks with big-company benefits
- A flexible vacation policy along with paid maternal and paternal leave
- Dog-friendly office near South Station, Boston
- Fully-stocked office snack bar and regular office events
- Perks tailored for dog lovers including subsidized dog-walking services and paw-ternity leave
- New iMacs and MacBook Pros
- Continuing education including attending conferences
Salary range: $140-180k
Embark Veterinary Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.