Senior Software Engineer, eCommerce at Toast
We’re not your traditional tech company and we don’t aim to be. Going against the grain is in our DNA. Building a revolutionary product begins with revolutionary thinking. That’s why we value diversity of thought, background and experience. Together, we empower restaurants of all sizes to build great teams, increase revenue, improve operations, and delight their guests. We pair our deep understanding of the restaurant industry with powerful cloud based software and restaurant-grade hardware to deliver an intuitive all-in-one platform. Join us on our mission to empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Toast is looking for a Software Engineer to play a critical role on the team responsible for building our eCommerce platform and associated integration technologies. This platform enables restaurants to discover and order Toast products and services on the web. We at Toast believe a great e-commerce experience is a critical part of delivering a frictionless self-service experience for ordering Toast products to the restaurants we serve. We are combining Magento eCommerce platform with integrations to standard enterprise systems such as ERP (Netsuite), CRM (Salesforce) and Marketing automation (Marketo) to deliver a seamless experience for our customers, business operations, sales, and customer success teams. These systems play a critical role in how we engage and maintain high quality relationships with the restaurants we serve.
About this roll*:
- Working with our CTO, Chief Architect, VP of business systems and other senior technical and product managers to define and drive API and integration standards
- Implementation and scaling of our eCommerce platform with a cross-functional team of collaborators
- Designing, building and maintaining high performance, flexible and highly scalable web and mobile-web single-page applications for the web using ReactJS
- Collaborating with our business applications team to design and implement best practices for integration with standard enterprise applications including ERP (NetSuite), and CRM (Salesforce)
- Thinking in terms of the end-user and designing accordingly
- Participating in code reviews to ensure technical implementations meet functional requirements
- Mentoring other team members
Do you have the right ingredients*?
- You value the success of the business and are able to design technical solutions to drive that success
- Experience in integrating large systems together to produce a single user experience that delights our customers
- You want to remain close to the code and are comfortable making complex changes without breaking (too much) stuff
- Willingness to interact with multiple backend systems (Magento, NetSuite, Salesforce, etc) and programming languages, from PHP to Kotlin
- You demonstrate humility, empathy and respectfulness
- You act as a force multiplier for teams you work with
- You are able to balance getting things done with making things perfect
*Bread puns encouraged, not required
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ and Pulsar clusters, as well as direct tablet communication to the back end. We are introducing the Magento platform into our tech stack with our e-commerce investments.