Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Are you bready* for a change?
Are you interested in building tools on top of data that help customers improve their businesses? Do you believe that extraordinary products differentiate themselves by moving beyond a simple "report" but provides a more data-rich experience? If so, we'd like you to join us.
The Data Platform team builds and manages key parts of Toast’s infrastructure. Today we support tens of thousands of restaurants who see the quality of timely and insightful data as critical to their success. We also work closely with other internal teams to enable them to build services and products that leverage the massive amounts of data we’ve collected. By this point next year, we are expecting to have doubled our data and traffic volume. The Data Platform team is building the massively-scalable Spark, Avro and Parquet based streaming data plane built on AWS that will meet this goal.
In this roll*, you will:
- Use the data infrastructure to build and deliver meaningful data to our customers
- Expand and improve the data model used across the company with an eye toward long term scalability
- Lead a small group of engineers across a broad spectrum of projects.
- Collaborate with many of the most critical teams within the business, from Engineering, to Customer Success and Marketing
Do you have the right ingredients?
- Experience working within the data analysis ecosystem on top of platforms such as Hadoop, Spark, or Snowflake.
- Familiarity with microservice based architecture operating at scale, preferably in a cloud environment such as AWS.
- Knowledge of command line tools and the ability to jump in and assist with ops as necessary to keep the pipeline moving.
- Experience with Java, Groovy, Kotlin or JVM-based language is a plus.
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java and Kotlin, to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services are a mix of synchronous DropWizard microservices in Java or Kotlin, and asynchronous services using Apache Pulsar and Apache Camel. We use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to DynamoDB to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with service management and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is primarily SPAs using React and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end;