Senior Software Engineer - Core Extensibility at Toast
We’re not your traditional tech company and we don’t aim to be. Going against the grain is in our DNA. Building a revolutionary product begins with revolutionary thinking. That’s why we value diversity of thought, background and experience. Together, we empower restaurants of all sizes to build great teams, increase revenue, improve operations, and delight their guests. We pair our deep understanding of the restaurant industry with powerful cloud based software and restaurant-grade hardware to deliver an intuitive all-in-one platform. Join us on our mission to empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Toast is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to be part of our Core Extensibility team. You will be responsible for creating enterprise solutions by extending our core technology using real time partner integrations. This team is responsible for features used by thousands of restaurants and hundreds of thousands of employees every day. While being highly technical and hands-on this role offers the additional opportunity to influence the future direction of the team. Our mission crosses a wide variety of projects impacting the entire restaurant ecosystem. In addition to leading technical projects, this role will be working closely with Product Managers, architects and developers, as well as project stakeholders.
Some projects we’ve been working on include:
- Creating a new ecosystem driving popular mobile App scan to pay user experiences such as LevelUp
- Designing and implementing an architecture that is now used by industry leading loyalty programs to enable restaurants to increase profit, retain customers and reward guests.
- Working cross-functionally with other Toast teams to define best practices for API development
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Core Extensibility team, you will be responsible for:
- Creating and driving the detailed planning, scheduling and execution of development plans to meet business goals and schedules
- Crafting, building and maintaining high performance, flexible and highly scalable APIs
- Developing full stack applications using React.js on the front end, Java and Kotlin for Android app and leveraging microservices and service-oriented back-end architecture
- Actively contributing to product design and feature selection with customer perspective in mind
- Participating in design and code reviews to ensure technical implementations meet functional requirements and the code is safe
- Mentoring other team members
Do you have the right ingredients?
- 7+ years overall engineering experience including 1 year driving large scale services, components or feature areas
- Experience with cloud services architecture
- Proficient in Java; Kotlin a plus
- Experience designing and building REST APIs/services
- Demonstrable skills building data access layers on top of SQL or No SQL databases
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or in a STEM field