Senior Software Engineer, Back End
Indigo is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is an economically desirable and accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, conserve resources for future generations, and grow healthy food for all. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes to improve crop health and productivity, Indigo’s portfolio is focused on cotton, wheat, barley, corn, soybeans, and rice. The company, founded by Flagship Pioneering, is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. www.indigoag.com
Our aim is to scale Indigo quickly with a goal of $1+B in revenue by 2020. The Senior Software Engineer - Backend will engineer distributed backend systems and RESTful APIs that support internal and external stakeholders. This person will be responsible for building reliable backend systems in the cloud. This person will also be a critical member of a highly efficient and cohesive engineering team that is focused on the customer’s needs and requirements.
- Design reliable and high-quality backend systems in the cloud
- Build well-documented and maintainability software
- Lead projects end to end, from design to implementation to deployment to production support
- Communicate risks and issues to stakeholders and work together with them to find a path forward
- Understands how to build high-throughput APIs and data processing pipelines
- Understands how to design APIs and client libraries that are easy for users to use, while protecting the SLAs of the backend system
- Understands how to build reliable systems in a cloud environment
- Ability to research and propose new technologies or software patterns when improvements could be made
- Evangelizes modern software engineering practices, and can speak to the pros and cons of approaches such as microservices vs. monoliths, mono vs. shared repos, containers vs. VMs
- 3+ years experience in building and deploying high-quality production services.
- 1+ year experience working with a cloud provider such as AWS or GCP