Senior Software Engineer, Android BSP at Toast (Remote)
Staff Android BSP Engineer
Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Every day, many thousands of servers, hosts, and chefs use Toast POS (Point of Sale) to serve millions of guests in their restaurants. To make our restaurants successful, we need to develop products that install painlessly, work together seamlessly, and quickly guide restaurant staff and Toast team members to resolve any problems that occur.
The Android OS team sits at the intersection of hardware and software and builds a platform that is the foundation for the Toast POS devices enabling creation of features that delight our customers. The Android OS team partners with a broad set of teams including POS R&D, Hardware R&D, Hardware Operations, Configuration Centers and Manufacturing partners.
We are seeking a Staff Software Engineer who is a hands-on technical leader and will pave the path to build Toast’s next generation Android platform. The strongest candidates will have broad experience with Android OS bringup, are collaborative, can review product schematics, and lead technical discussions with the Hardware team. If you are someone who can think big, and are passionate about building software platforms that can be re-used for current and future Toast products with high focus on quality, this position is for you!
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Lead the Android BSP development and hardware bring-up process for the team.
- Collaborate with Software, Hardware, Factory and Product Management teams on the product roadmap and requirements to build a long term vision for Toast Device capabilities.
- Lead platform features and make solid technical decisions keeping software quality, security and maintainability in mind.
- Partner with SOC (system on chip) vendors and ODM’s to design and develop high performance and easy to use devices for Toast customers.
- Help set the standard for software quality by adopting modern software test frameworks and practices in day to day development.
- Grow and develop team members through coaching and feedback.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- 4+ years of software development experience, which includes 5 years of experience working with Android OS software.
- Experience working with Hardware teams to review and analyze product schematics.
- Android and Linux Kernel bring-up / BSP (Board Support Package) experience.
- Experience working with bootloaders, Linux device tree configuration, Android HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer)
- Experience implementing, integrating, and debugging device drivers such as display, power management, WiFi, GPIO drivers or similar.
- Experience debugging issues within the Android Framework and Linux Kernel.
- Proficient in C/C++, Java or other object oriented programming languages.
- Experience working with source control tools such as Git, Gerrit, GitHub, and with Android command line tools such as adb and fastboot.
- Passionate about solving large scale problems and building great software for customers.
- Technical experience on multi-person projects.
Bonus ingredients* (preferred skills)
- Experience working with HIDL (HAL interface definition language).
- Experience working with the Android Networking Stack.
- Experience with Android telephony subsystem and modem bring-up
- Familiarity with Android security model (SE Linux policy) and secure boot.
- Experience with Google’s AOSP architecture developing Android framework services, Android Native applications (JNI / NDK) or system applications in JAVA or Kotlin.
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
The base salary range for this role is listed below. The starting salary will be determined based on skills and experience. In addition to base salary, our total rewards components include cash compensation (overtime, bonus/commissions if eligible), equity, and benefits.
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].