Senior Mechanical Engineer - Systems and Analysis at Markforged
We are looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our product development team that is developing the next generation of 3D printers. You will leverage your expertise in mechanism and machine design to help our rockstar team launch the next generation of additive manufacturing equipment. Your experience should include design and analysis of high precision parts and systems, integration of mechanical & electrical components, actuation system design, and sensor selection and integration. You’ll be responsible for developing machine subsystems from concept to production, proving they satisfy performance requirements and ensuring that they can be built in high volume at the highest standard of quality.
Your typical day-to day activities will include examining defects in printed parts to understand root cause, and developing countermeasures to improve part quality via hardware or software changes. You will also be responsible for analyzing system performance to inform design decisions in multiple trade spaces including speed, accuracy, and part strength. You’ll design parts to uncover areas for improvement, test specific machine functionality and demonstrate performance over a wide range of part geometries, materials and environmental conditions. To thrive at Markforged, you must be able to work well in multi-disciplinary teams consisting of mechanical, electrical, software, and systems engineers. Familiarity with control theory and software development principles will be especially important because you’ll be a part of a team that’s developing complex, high performance systems which are driven by state of the art software.
- Evaluate printer system performance and drive improvements to part quality and speed
- Root cause system level issues, identify corrective and preventative actions, and work cross functionally to resolve problems.
- Analyze systems and subsystems to uncover opportunities for optimizing designs in terms of performance, quality, reliability and cost
- Be a leader within the engineering department advocating for best practices, driving cross functional collaboration and continuous improvement of designs, processes and tools
- Pursue the rapid creation and transfer of knowledge to drive technical progress and efficient decision making
- Clearly and proactively communicate to others within and across projects and function
Although we list out what we generally look for, we are very likely missing other attributes and skills that you have that could make you a great fit, but are not currently listed. Research has shown this especially applies to women and other marginalized groups, who tend to apply if they check 100% of every box, versus men who apply if they hit roughly 60%. The point we’re getting at, it doesn’t hurt to take a chance and apply!What you have:
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, (M.S. preferred)
- 5+ years demonstrated success delivering complex electromechanical systems including industrial automation equipment, robots or similar systems that combine actuation systems, motion control, custom sensor integration, electronics, thermal systems or similar content.
- Strong fundamentals in the field of Mechanical Engineering including design and analysis from 1st principles, trade-studies, failure analysis and system level design
- Subject matter expertise in one or more of the following areas: Systems analysis, systems modeling, control theory, FEA, CFD, Root cause analysis, Structured problem solving
- Ability to lead a cross-functional team of engineers through influence. A willingness to share know-how and best practices learned through your years of real-world experience