Senior Mechanical Engineer - Systems and Analysis at Markforged
Sorry, this job was removed at 4:06 p.m. (EST) on Monday, January 25, 2021
Markforged is reinventing manufacturing with the most affordable 3D metal and carbon fiber printers capable of producing parts strong enough for the factory floor. Engineers, designers, and manufacturing professionals all over the world rely on Markforged metal and composite printers for tooling, fixtures, functional prototyping, and high-value end-use production and optimizing their manufacturing and supply chains. Founded in 2013 and based in Watertown, MA, Markforged has about 300 employees globally, with $137 million in both strategic and venture capital. Markforged’s vision is a world in which you build anything you imagine. Markforged was recently recognized by Forbes in the Next Billion-Dollar Startups list and listed as the fastest-growing 3D printing company in the US in the 2019 Deloitte Fast 500.
We are looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our product development team that is developing the next generation of 3D printers. You will leverage your expertise in mechanism and machine design to help our rockstar team launch the next generation of additive manufacturing equipment. Your experience should include design and analysis of high precision parts and systems, integration of mechanical & electrical components, actuation system design, and sensor selection and integration. You’ll be responsible for developing machine subsystems from concept to production, proving they satisfy performance requirements and ensuring that they can be built in high volume at the highest standard of quality.
Your typical day-to day activities will include examining defects in printed parts to understand root cause, and developing countermeasures to improve part quality via hardware or software changes. You will also be responsible for analyzing system performance to inform design decisions in multiple trade spaces including speed, accuracy, and part strength. You’ll design parts to uncover areas for improvement, test specific machine functionality and demonstrate performance over a wide range of part geometries, materials and environmental conditions. To thrive at Markforged, you must be able to work well in multi-disciplinary teams consisting of mechanical, electrical, software, and systems engineers. Familiarity with control theory and software development principles will be especially important because you’ll be a part of a team that’s developing complex, high performance systems which are driven by state of the art software.
In this role you will:
- Evaluate printer system performance and drive improvements to part quality and speed
- Root cause system level issues, identify corrective and preventative actions, and work cross functionally to resolve problems.
- Analyze systems and subsystems to uncover opportunities for optimizing designs in terms of performance, quality, reliability and cost
- Be a leader within the engineering department advocating for best practices, driving cross functional collaboration and continuous improvement of designs, processes and tools
- Pursue the rapid creation and transfer of knowledge to drive technical progress and efficient decision making
- Clearly and proactively communicate to others within and across projects and functions
What we look for:
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, (M.S. preferred)
- 5+ years demonstrated success delivering complex electromechanical systems including industrial automation equipment, robots or similar systems that combine actuation systems, motion control, custom sensor integration, electronics, thermal systems or similar content.
- Strong fundamentals in the field of Mechanical Engineering including design and analysis from 1st principles, trade-studies, failure analysis and system level design
- Subject matter expertise in one or more of the following areas: Systems analysis, systems modeling, control theory, FEA, CFD, Root cause analysis, Structured problem solving
- Ability to lead a cross-functional team of engineers through influence. A willingness to share know-how and best practices learned through your years of real-world experience
Help us reinvent manufacturing.
We are reinventing manufacturing so that engineers can build anything they imagine.
We are one team that wins together!
You will be engaging every day with passionate and dedicated individuals in a collaborative environment working towards making best-in-class products.
Perks & Benefits
We offer a competitive compensation package and a full suite of benefits, including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(k), parental leave, commuter benefits, open PTO policy, and more. Our work environment includes casual dress, a fully stocked kitchen, bike storage, free parking, weekly catered lunches, and fitness perks. You will have unlimited access to our 3D printers for professional and personal parts!
Markforged values the differences among our employees and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. These differences include but are not limited to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. This goal emphasizes the development of inclusive work environments that capitalize on each employee’s skills, experience, and unique perspectives as we strive to achieve an unparalleled standard of excellence.
To all recruitment agencies: Markforged does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Markforged employees. Markforged is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Read Full Job Description