Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US and we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
Core Systems Senior Manager
CarGurus is looking for a Core Systems leader that will provide extensive knowledge of not just the systems management aspect of the infrastructure but also about the behavior of the applications running on top of it so we can evolve our systems with an “application first” mindset and do so in a reliable, scalable, secure and resilient manner. This leader will focus on leading two strategic investments: 1) Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS), and 2) Database-as-a-Service (DBaaS). These would entail Kubernetes workloads and fine-tuning, scalable Infrastructure operation, security compliance/scanning, evolve and scale a hybrid-cloud architecture, build and scale cloud-native infrastructure, transition to stateless services, and manage our data-layer systems (MySQL, Memcached, ElasticSearch, MongoDB, Kafka).
This leader will lead a team that will build systems that CarGurus engineers use directly and also provide component libraries that help teams go faster through maintainable documentation, process automation, static analysis, and code generation tools.
This leader will help evangelize proper use of CarGurus’s technical platform and will be responsible for working with the rest of the Infrastructure engineering organization to chart a long-term vision for our infrastructure. Successful candidates will have a proven track-record demonstrating a customer-oriented mindset where they prioritize product and people over systems.
Reporting to the VP of Infrastructure Engineering and working closely with Engineering peers, the senior manager of Core Systems will take over the day-to-day engineering and technical leadership for the infrastructure organization in IaaS and DBaaS initiatives.
The responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Scaling a core infrastructure team that is focused on high velocity, sustainability and quality.
- Leading teams building a core infrastructure that works with cloud providers and integrates third party systems.
- Collaborating with other Infrastructure and Product engineering leaders on all related matters that impact the Engineering team, including resourcing and building technology/product vision with “application first” in mind.
- Pushing the team to build software that’s useful, usable, reliable, resilient and solves real customer pain in these 2 key areas (IaaS, DBaaS).
- Coaching and mentoring engineering teams through the design and application of IaaS and DBaaS, including code reviews, higher-level software design, and direct management.
- Building a high-performing team through coaching, mentoring, and hiring.
- Vendor management.
This person will have:
- Bachelor's degree in a related field.
- 10+ years of direct technical leadership with a focus on building infrastructure with application context in mind, particularly in how to develop IaaS and DBaaS from greenfield projects into fully-fledge production models.
- At least 5 years of proven experience scaling cloud platforms in a high growth environment.
- Demonstrated experience leading distributed organizations in excess of 10 people.
- Track record of success in driving a comprehensive strategy for an evolving set of products in cloud-native environments.
- Proven experience delivering solutions based on customer/stakeholder feedback.
- Ability to actively communicate, inspire and motivate all levels of staff.
- Ability to translate broad company strategies into clear, specific objectives and actionable plans.
- Demonstrated experience leading teams to develop innovative solutions that meet market needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, implementation schedules, and adherence to development goals and principles.
- Proven ability to manage stakeholders within a public company and foster collaboration across all Engineering teams.
At CarGurus engineering leaders play to their strengths, but are aligned with CarGurus’s mission and show the leadership qualities that the company has found to be the most effective:
- They build trust, respect, and empathy, and use that as a base to deliver radical candor.
- They foster an inclusive team and sense of mission.
- They have strong working relationships across the organization, from the tech leads and the individual contributors who report to them, to the product managers, engineers and designers their reports work with, to their peers & the executive team.
- They understand CarGurus’s customer and business needs.
- They understand how CarGurus builds and why.
- They represent CarGurus’s mission, culture, and commitment to DI&B to candidates.
- They get team members and candidates excited to take on new challenges.
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, colour, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, and the UK. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.