Senior Engineering Manager
Greater Boston Area
Appcues is a SaaS platform used by thousands of companies to improve their products without writing any code. As an Appcues senior engineering manager, you will be responsible for leading 7-10 engineers to accomplish their most significant work. Through exceptional servant-leadership and coaching, you will help ensure your team’s success and their personal growth. Your goal is for your team to consistently and autonomously deliver customer value, and to see how their Appcues’ experience is realizing their career goals.
About the role:
- The engineering team currently has 20 people organized into four autonomous cross-functional teams with clear missions and accountability. Today all engineers report to either Ray Di Ciaccio, Engineering Manager, or Chris Brookins, our VP of Engineering. We are hiring another Engineering Manager because we are growing, our engineers prefer being individual contributors, and we like the manager to IC ratio to be under 12 to 1.
- Our four teams include Mobile, Platform, Back Office (segmentation, analytics, reporting, sign up, and administration), and Experiences (in-app onboarding guides, checklists, and surveys). Each team has a tech lead who writes code, provides technical mentorship, and manages technical risks. We’ll work together to find you the team that is the best fit for you. As you get up to speed, there will be opportunities to lead multiple teams.
- You will raise the bar of your team through exceptional hiring and mentoring, ensuring they live our values and improve their craft. As a servant-leader, you will champion your team’s successes, provide career guidance, remove impediments, and identify learning opportunities.
- A key responsibility is to help your team balance the competing priorities of adding new customer-value and paying down technical debt. As a leader, you understand how critical it is that you advocate for the proper investments so that we don't risk our long term goals.
- Our engineering teams are co-located and work in one or two-week iterations. We manage our work via Github, Clubhouse, and Slack and are committed to agile development. When ready, engineers will create and send a pull request with tests and tag their team for review. We use CI to deploy to production and are investing in our pipelines to make them more comprehensive.
- In the past, you’ve been a successful engineer. However, your real passion is to lead and mentor people, making a more significant impact through others. Your other passion is helping your team evolve as empathetic humans and exceptional engineers.
- You are an outstanding communicator, both verbally and in writing. You naturally document plans for transparency so future employees can quickly get up to speed.
- You have excellent judgment and have made many difficult decisions by collecting information, asking questions, and weighing various trade-offs. You are quick to admit when you have been wrong, and are comfortable being vulnerable about what you learned.
- You are a systems thinker that relishes team and project challenges and enjoys figuring out how to make things better. In stressful situations, you are the calm, steady voice of reason.
- When needed, you don’t fear difficult conversations to resolve a situation and do what is right. You understand the value of direct, transparent, respectful, and kind feedback, knowing that it’s a gift your teammates can use to grow.
- You are an excellent active listener with humility and empathy. You naturally build relationships with your team and peers. You often debate the other side of issues and try on other people’s perspectives so that you can learn new things. When you have to make difficult team requests, you effectively communicate the context and urgency. You’re excellent at connecting big goals to your team’s tasks and ensuring they understand how their work is meaningful and essential.
- You are incredibly thoughtful when it comes to hiring people for your team and work actively to identify where they can improve. You prioritize hiring someone that is a long-term complement to the team vs. someone who thinks like everyone else.
- Diversity and inclusion isn’t just a buzzword to you. You know you can’t have a world-class team unless it is made up of a diverse set of people with various backgrounds and perspectives.
At Appcues, our mission is to help teams build products their users love. With Appcues, you can create in-product experiences (user onboarding, feature announcements, checklists, and more) without writing any code. We believe it’s the non-technical people who often have the best information about a user’s needs and desires, and we give them the tools to act.
We’re a dynamic group of talented teammates who challenge, trust, and care about each other, the work we do, and the success story we are writing. Our values are not just words, we live by them.
Appcues is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse team is a stronger team.
Read Full Job Description