Senior Engineer, Developer Infrastructure - Remote at Appcues
| Greater Boston Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 5:08 p.m. (EST) on Wednesday, November 4, 2020
Your work as a developer infrastructure engineer will ensure our engineering teams build, test, and deliver new product capabilities faster than ever while also improving quality. Your mission is to partner with our engineers to identify, prioritize, and provide impactful automation and efficiencies in our development environments, tools, CI/CD pipelines, and tests. Your work will ensure we can continue to innovate at an accelerated pace to delight thousands of customers like Amplitude, Wistia, and Segment. Our customers use Appcues to improve their product's adoption and growth by delivering beautiful in-app experiences such as onboarding guides, tips, announcements, and surveys to millions of end-users.
Tools we use
- CircleCI, DataDog, AWS CodeDeploy, CloudFormation, ECS, EC2
- PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, S3, Redis, Snowflake
- Kafka, SQS
About the role
- Job one is to proactively help the engineering team build, test, and deploy faster by enhancing automation and tooling while maintaining and improving our quality. The engineering team currently has about 20 people across four small teams.
- While we have a decent amount of automation in place, we have some clear gaps we want to close in terms of continuous integration, delivery pipelines, and consistent test environments.
- You will be the first engineer to focus on these challenges full-time. By collaborating with our engineers, you will learn what is working and identify improvements & priorities. You’ll partner closely with front-end and back-end engineers, QA engineers, and engineering management to design, develop & roll out new tooling and automation.
- On a typical day, you may create a new pipeline, improve an internal tool, meet with a team to review their CI/CD pipelines, add test automation, implement actionable alerts, or unblock another engineer.
- You will implement & drive improvements to key metrics such as deployment frequency, lead time for changes, MTTR, and change failure rate.
- Our engineering teams work in two-week iterations, communicate mostly via Slack, and are committed to remote, agile development. When you are ready, you’ll create and send a pull request with tests and tag your team for review. We use CI pipelines to deploy to production to deliver higher quality software faster.
- The organization will look to you for vision and guidance, making our build, test, and production environments more performant, secure, and reliable.
- You have worked with larger engineering teams than Appcues, so you have a good sense of what the road ahead looks like and what we should be doing better.
- You like to get your hands dirty and automate manual processes wherever possible while keeping things simple. You’ve worked with operational insights and deployment tools, including CI, centralized logging, metrics, and push-button deployment.
- You can comfortably work 9-5 Eastern Time. While we are a 100% remote-1st company and you can work from anywhere, we require 8 hours overlap to collaborate effectively with the rest of our team members who work these hours.
- You can demonstrate expert-level skills working with AWS and Linux and believe in a DevOps mindset. You are intimately familiar with current platform-as-a-service offerings.
- A big part of being great at your job revolves around being organized and communicative.
- You have a strong engineering background and have done a little of everything. You’re a curious person that prefers to get stuff done rather than delegate.
- You have spent a lot of time provisioning, monitoring, and troubleshooting AWS cloud services. You are pragmatic, not dogmatic, and are aware of the strengths & weaknesses of your tools.
- You are comfortable influencing cross-team standards, practices, and tools by rolling up your sleeves and showing how things can be better. You can clearly describe the business implications of your technical decisions. You are excited to develop a vision & future roadmap of how we can improve.
- You enjoy mentoring other engineers and helping them grow technically. You routinely become known as a go-to person in your company. You are an excellent communicator who can write and speak with empathy for your team.
- You are energized working in a highly collaborative and customer-driven startup that is remote-1st.
At Appcues, our mission is to help teams build products their users love. With Appcues, you can create in-product experiences (user onboarding, feature announcements, checklists, and more) without writing any code. We believe it’s the non-technical people who often have the best information about a user’s needs and desires, and we give them the tools to act.
We’re a dynamic group of talented teammates who challenge, trust, and care about each other, their work, and the success story we are writing. Our values are not just words. We live by them.
Appcues is an equal opportunity employer that commits to diversity and inclusion and also celebrates it. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or marital status. We believe that diverse teams foster a more inclusive company culture, build better products, and are more human, humane, and fun.
Read Full Job Description