Senior DBA at Examity
Examity is the world leader in online proctoring. Founded in 2013, we work with colleges, employers, and assessment providers to protect online test integrity. Since 2013, the market for online proctoring has only increased – today, we maintain five global locations, support over 500 clients, and proctor nearly 3 million exam sessions per year.
Being one of the fastest-growing Edtech companies in the United States starts with having the best team. Our employees are the heartbeat and backbone of everything we do. Together, we're able to build a better testing experience that meets candidates where they are. If you share our passion for providing the most innovative, versatile, and secure online proctoring in the industry, then we would love to talk to you.
Examity’s Senior DBA is responsible for the design and management of data infrastructure and ecosystem, including both our on-prem physical database servers, as well as the cloud. Ability to act as a team player, contributor, and thought leader is crucial to the success in the role. The ideal candidate is an inquisitive, results-driven technologist who is passionate about building a forward-thinking and highly scalable data infrastructure needed for the company to drive growth and business value.
- Assist developers in creating scripts to manage the database schema, and creating new schema required by developers. Define, design, document, guide, and track the database schema.
- Create environment-specific databases (e.g. development, unit testing etc).
- Work to improve database performance specifically on queries, triggers, and stored procedures.
- Provide guidance to the 24/7 database administration team for all SQL Server production databases, services, and infrastructure, both in house and cloud resident. The team also supports development and quality testing environments as needed.
- Conduct systematic performance tuning (i.e., server, database and query performance tuning, database-related component tuning, and product-specific database request tuning).
- Assist in development, efficiency improvements and implementation of database policies and procedures for data security and integrity. Maintain environment metadata reporting frameworks and identify trends within the environment to further increase efficiency.
- Optimizing and tuning workloads while optimizing queries to improve system performance and reliability.
- Respond to emergency database related alerts, performing scheduled maintenance, and supporting release deployment activities during periods of low traffic (this may or may not be outside of work hours).
- Working with the infrastructure and development teams to diversify risk by migrating SaaS microservices/applications to Azure or AWS.
- Research SQL capabilities in Azure/AWS and other database technologies that might be suitable for Examity.
- Utilize system administrators and developers to assess, develop and implement a disaster recovery plan including recovery points, recovery time objectives and business continuity plans.
- 5+ years of relevant SQL Server Database Administration and/or Database Architecture experience with a passion to learn.
- Highly proficient in developing efficient SQL scripts and heavy working experience managing and automating SQL Server.
- Strong decision-making skills, a take-charge personality, and the ability to drive a plan to completion. Ability to work collaboratively and individually.
- Ability to work flexible hours as required by business priorities.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, and customer service.
- Strong understanding of database security best practices and controls.
- Expertise in Performance Tuning and Query Optimization.
- Hands-on experience with data migrations, data warehousing, SQL Availability Groups, etc.
- Familiarity w/ Microsoft SQL Server, Azure SQL, AWS RDS.
- Experience with NoSQL databases (Mongo, Cassandra, etc.) or other RDBMSes (PostgreSQL, etc.) a plus.
- Legal authorization to work in the United States. We will not sponsor individuals for work visas.
Examity offers a competitive salary, 401(k), and a comprehensive benefits package, providing full coverage for health and dental premiums for both individuals and families. As one of the fastest-growing companies in Massachusetts, you will be challenged to build your skills and take on increasing responsibility. Our office environment is open, collaborative, fast-paced and high energy. Examity’s urban office location in Newton, MA provides access to local shopping and restaurants. Employees enjoy Examity’s free snacks and drinks, a flexible work schedule, and frequent group outings to skyboxes for Celtics, Red Sox and summer concerts.
You can't spell Examity without "team." Which is why we built our business around the most collaborative and passionate people in the industry. We're always looking to grow our family, so if you're interested in joining us, please don't hesitate to reach out. We would love to hear from you! Examity is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We thrive because of the diversity of our employees. At Examity, people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives are always welcome. We foster an environment of mutual respect and do not tolerate any discrimination. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.